repeated small pauses makes input sluggish since 7.4.1, why?[solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
errowr

repeated small pauses makes input sluggish since 7.4.1, why?[solved]

#1 Post by errowr »

I've noticed that repeated small pauses make interaction sluggish starting from renpy version 7.4.1 In my example below you sometimes have to press the button several times before it will register. And that's with pauses of just 0.01 It gets worse the shorter the pauses are.

Renpy version 7.4.0 and below seem to not have this problem. Or at least not nearly as much.

I was looking up incompatibility changes and found that something was done to the pause command and adding "define config.pause_with_transition = True" should revert it to the old way, but that doesn't seem to help.

So is this just something I should get used to or is there some sort of setting which can be changed to overcome sluggish input when using a lot of small pauses in succession?

label start:

label test_it:

show screen pushtostop
$ renpy.pause(0.01)
show text "1"
$ number = '1'
$ renpy.pause(0.01)
show text "2"
$ number = '2'
$ renpy.pause(0.01)
show text "3"
$ number = '3'
$ renpy.pause(0.01)
show text "4"
$ number = '4'
$ renpy.pause(0.01)
show text "5"
$ number = '5'

jump test_it

screen pushtostop:
textbutton "push" xpos 600 ypos 300 action [Hide("pushtostop"),Jump("stopit")]

label stopit:
"You stopped at [number]"
jump test_it
Last edited by errowr on Fri May 14, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: repeated small pauses makes input sluggish since 7.4.1, why?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Short pauses like that - less than a frame - are a bad idea. This is a good place for a DynamicDIsplayable, or a creator-defined displayable.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

errowr

Re: repeated small pauses makes input sluggish since 7.4.1, why?[solved]

#3 Post by errowr »

Thanks a lot for your reply. The script I included was just to illustrate my question since the same script didn't cause problems in older Renpy versions.

Knowing that short pauses such as in my script are simply a bad idea is good to know going forward from now.