How to profile slow load/reload times?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
zmook
Veteran

How to profile slow load/reload times?

#1 Post by zmook »

I am helping with a game that has got some rather slow reload times.

Code: Select all

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.09s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.20s
Loading error handling took 0.11s
Loading script took 2.80s
Loading save slot metadata. took 0.47s
…
Total time until interface ready: 7.06171584129s
The worst single offender is "Loading script", second worst is "save slot metadata". What can I do to get more information about what to fix?

There are 85 total .rpy files. The largest is 650 kB, and then there are several in the 200 kB range. Would it help to split them up? Is there any way to mark things to delay parsing?
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

zmook
Veteran

Re: How to profile slow load/reload times?

#2 Post by zmook »

I'm still hoping someone has an answer to this question.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

emz911
Regular

#3 Post by emz911 »

Tom has said that multiple smaller scripts load faster than a long one, so splitting them up probably would help.
I'll also wait here for more ways to reduce loading time because my game is huge and loads even longer lol!

zmook
Veteran

#4 Post by zmook »

I guess PyTom is the only one who can provide any more of an answer to this one, then. Anyone know how to politely draw his attention to it?
colin r

henne

#5 Post by henne »

Guess, you could try using Discord?