[Solved] Sliding Menu in Save Data Screenshot

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Shocking Alberto
Regular

[Solved] Sliding Menu in Save Data Screenshot

#1 Post by Shocking Alberto »

I have a menu which slides in from the right hand side of the menu on mouseover and of course hidden when not in the defined mousearea. The issue that occurs is that if you save using the menu, the screenshot will also show the menu in it. I figured an easy solution would be to add a Hide action to the save button and you can clearly see the menu and it properly gets hidden after clicking but it still appears in the save screenshot.

I'm not entirely sure what would be the proper thing to do to make sure the menu doesn't appear. Maybe there's a way to delay as to when the screenshot is taken? I know FileScreenshot is used to add the screenshot to the save data slot but beyond that I'm a bit stumped. If there is a thread already on this and I missed it, just point me in that direction and I'll be on my way. /o/
Last edited by Shocking Alberto on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emz911
Regular

Re: Sliding Menu in Save Data Screenshot

#2 Post by emz911 »

As documented, save screen screenshots take "a picture of the screen before a file save screen is shown," so as long as you hide the menu screen before you enter the save screen you should be fine. Since it sounds like you enter the save screen through the menu screen, I wonder if using ShowMenu("yourmenuscreen") rather than Show("yourmenuscreen") when you hover over it works.

Shocking Alberto
Regular

#3 Post by Shocking Alberto »

For clarification, this is what the menu code in screens looks like:

Code: Select all

screen game_menu():

style_prefix "game_menu"

frame at game_menu_inout:

vbox:

null width 160 height 30

# Qsave
            imagebutton:
                idle "gui/qmenu_btn_qsave_off.png"
                hover "gui/qmenu_btn_qsave_over.png"
                hover_sound "sse_02"                
                action [Play("sound", "sse_01"), QuickSave()]

# Qload
            imagebutton:
                idle "gui/qmenu_btn_qload_off.png"
                hover "gui/qmenu_btn_qload_over.png"
                hover_sound "sse_02"                
                action [Play("sound", "sse_01"), QuickLoad()]

# Save
            imagebutton:
                idle "gui/qmenu_btn_save_off.png"
                hover "gui/qmenu_btn_save_over.png"
                hover_sound "sse_02"                
                action [Hide("game_menu"), Play("sound", "sse_01"), ShowMenu("save")]

# Load
            imagebutton:
                idle "gui/qmenu_btn_load_off.png"
                hover "gui/qmenu_btn_load_over.png"
                hover_sound "sse_02"                
                action [Play("sound", "sse_01"), ShowMenu("load")]

# Config
            imagebutton:
                idle "gui/qmenu_btn_config_off.png"
                hover "gui/qmenu_btn_config_over.png"
                hover_sound "sse_02"                
                action [Play("sound", "sse_01"), ShowMenu("preferences")]
I figured adding the Hide("game_menu") in the action line would have been sufficient but apparently it was not. Incidentally, the only way to avoid this problem is to access the save menu via the right click since you don't need to open up the menu to do so. I wasn't sure what you meant by using ShowMenu instead of Show but if you have any other insight, it is certainly appreciated!

emz911
Regular

#4 Post by emz911 »

I thought you had another screen that showed the game_menu so I suggested replacing the action Show("game_menu") with ShowMenu("game_menu"), but it looks like you don't have another screen, so maybe try:

screen game_menu():
    tag menu

Shocking Alberto
Regular

#5 Post by Shocking Alberto »

Unfortunately, the result is still the same. I wonder if a workaround is to go to another screen of some sort to take the screenshot then going to the save menu. I did mess with that idea by putting a renpy.take_screenshot() line in the save screen which of course changes the screenshot to the save screen. I am definitely overthinking this somehow I'm sure.

Did some more digging and it looks like someone came up with a solution to a similar problem:
[Solved] Unfocusing screenshot button after click

I'm not 100% sure how to make this work in my case though unfortunately but it is a direction of sorts.

emz911
Regular

#6 Post by emz911 »

Not familiar with the queue event, but an easy way is to probably show an empty screen after hiding the game_menu and before showing the save menu.
If even this doesn't work, I would ask in the Discord server. :)

Shocking Alberto
Regular

#7 Post by Shocking Alberto »

After some discussion, a solution has been found!

What is required is to comment out a couple lines in 00gamemenu.rpy:

renpy.movie_stop(only_fullscreen=True)
        #if not renpy.context()._menu:
        #    renpy.take_screenshot((config.thumbnail_width, config.thumbnail_height))
After that, just add FileTakeScreenshot() to the screen that handles the sliding in/out function and everything works as it should. Only thing is I have to remember to uncomment this for any other game being worked on. Hope this may help someone out there. :)