Input method editor (IME) selection box not showing?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
emz911
Regular

Input method editor (IME) selection box not showing?

#1 Post by emz911 »

Hi! I've been making a game in Chinese where users get to input their name, but a majority of them cannot see the IME selection box when inputting, which makes it hard to choose the correct word/character they want, they can only press 123 blindly.
Example of what it should look like (selection box present):
ime_present.png
ime_present.png (13.58 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
What some people get (selection box is hidden):
ime_notshown.png
ime_notshown.png (6.75 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
I wonder if the issue has to do with the OS or the user's unique keyboard (there are a lot of different IME keyboards to download), but currently I cannot replicate it with a Mac nor a PC (Alienware) using the default keyboard, Baidu IME or Sogou IME, though I do know that more than half of my users have this problem. Wild guess: maybe the engine's screen is placed in front of the IME screen, covering it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!