Ren'Py 7.4.5 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 7.4.5 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

I'm happy to announce Ren'Py 7.4.5, the fifth patch release for the 7.4 series. This fix adds several features that take advantage of the model-based renderer, improves platform support, and adds other quality of life features, like a dark theme for the launcher.

Perhaps the biggest new feature is the 3D Stage system. This allows a creator to position images on a three dimensional stage, like the one a play takes place on. Images can be rotated and moved in three dimensions, and Ren'Py will take care of rendering them in a perspective-correct manner.

Other features that take advantage of the model-based renderer are new blend modes (including multiply), and a new transition, Swing, that rotates images in three dimensions. The model-based renderer is enabled by default in games released with Ren'Py 7.4.5.

This release also includes improvements for many platforms. The Android support allows new projects to be compiled after the bintray shutdown, while a rewritten splashscreen allows Ren'Py to start on more devices. This release also includes fixes for compiling on iOS, and for signing and notarizing macOS applications.

Ren'Py 7.4 is the the product of over a year of development, and one of the biggest releases of Ren'Py to date. This series of releases focuses on updating Ren'Py's internals so that Ren'Py is ready for its next 15 years.

Downloads of 7.4.5 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/7.4.5

A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelog.html

A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/incompatible.html

Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

Re: Ren'Py 7.4.5 Released

#2 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

I'll need to try out the 3D Stage stuff... It looks like a really cool addition, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to move the "camera" around. Right now, it really does feel like a stage in that the images can be rotated, but there's not really a way to pan the view. I'm also curious about whether this means that Ren'Py will eventually support actual 3D models.

The Android fixes are also very interesting, so I'll have to look into those. Hopefully the bootup process is smoother now.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

Clef
Regular

#3 Post by Clef »

3D stage sounds like an incredibly cool feature.
I am already hoping tha someone will make a dungeon crawler tool out of it.
Hoping that it won't be too hard on the performance.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Jackkel Dragon wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:07 am I'll need to try out the 3D Stage stuff... It looks like a really cool addition, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to move the "camera" around. Right now, it really does feel like a stage in that the images can be rotated, but there's not really a way to pan the view. I'm also curious about whether this means that Ren'Py will eventually support actual 3D models.

The Android fixes are also very interesting, so I'll have to look into those. Hopefully the bootup process is smoother now.
To pan the view, you'd adjust the later transform:

Code: Select all

show layer master:
    perspective True
    xpos 0.0
    linear 3.0 xpos 100.0
You're probably going it want a background a bit bigger than the window if you do this, even with zzoom.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Tayruu
Regular

#5 Post by Tayruu »

I wonder if it would be possible to use the 3D stage stuff to give my "rotate around the room" point-and-click system more depth. It currently just scrolls images + screens (containing the interactable items), so if there would be a way to create 3D walls that all rotate around, and for the perspective to affect the screens too, that would work nicely.

Though I do suspect I'd need to at least manually define the angles of each wall, instead of being able to dynamically shape a room based on number of walls. The most likely scenario though is that there's no "rotation" to this system, so I'd have to not only define the angle of each visible wall, but the angles during rotation frames.

In the very least, more dynamic camera focus/depth using this would be nice for the casual VN dialogue parts of things.