Navigate through map locations?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Agnese1304
Regular
Projects: Silver Crown Bakery
Deviantart: Ageha1304
Discord: Ageha#0015

Navigate through map locations?

#1 Post by Agnese1304 »

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to ren'py, but I would like to make a visual novel, where at some points of the game player could choose different locations where to travel to. I don't want anything fancy, just player choosing one locations out of many to travel to, event happens, then player chooses another location or proceeds with the story.
There used to be a very nice tutorial on youtube on how to make an interactive ren'py game but it disappeared. :(
So can anyone recommend any good tutorial for how make this location travel possible?

emz911
Regular

Re: Navigate through map locations?

#2 Post by emz911 »

There are many ways you can do that, depends on your needs. If you don't need images to go with the locations, you can simply use menu choices which only contain text to do so. If you want different image buttons for each location, use screen and image buttons. If you have the whole map as a single image, you may want to use image maps...

mavyxdawn
Regular
Github: mavyxdawn
itch: zeillearnings
Discord: _zeil

Re: Navigate through map locations?

#3 Post by mavyxdawn »

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20541
Try this one. I've seen it in action and it has a good explanation.
YouTube: Zeil Learnings
itch.io: Zeil Learnings