Is it possible to change the way text scrolling looks?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Wizard Whithbrin

Is it possible to change the way text scrolling looks?

#1 Post by Wizard Whithbrin »

Ren'Py newcomer here, so go easy on me. I just had a question I couldn't find anything about online.

Text scrolling is a pretty basic thing, it scrolls, you click, and then it scrolls again. That's what visual novels do... But it doesn't look quite the same in every visual novel.

In particular, I'm wondering if it's possible to do a fade in effect for the words as they scroll, if that makes sense... as opposed to the letters just appearing. Two visual novels I can think of that that do this are Steins;Gate and Higurashi(at least, the steam version with 07th mod does. I don't think the original release did?)

I'm not sure how many people even notice or pay attention to this sort of thing, but I find that particular effect very nice-looking. It feels more fancy than plain scrolling. Wondering if Ren'Py can replicate that. Thank you.

(I recorded a quick example of what this looks like in case my explanation wasn't good enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ44BvlWZk4)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Is it possible to change the way text scrolling looks?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

There are a few ways. Some of them are in the cookbook here, look for fancy text and kinetic text
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Wizard Whithbrin

Re: Is it possible to change the way text scrolling looks?

#3 Post by Wizard Whithbrin »

Sorry for the (really) late reply, I've been busy and I didn't want to respond before fully looking over the stuff you suggested. I looked up fancy text but couldn't find it(I don't think?), but either way, kinetic text looks like it could probably do exactly what I'm looking for.

I just don't know how, or really, even where to begin with this.

It uses a lot of terms I'm unfamiliar with. This is what I get for being new to coding. I've been figuring things out as I go, but I'm tempted to take a class in python so I don't sound like an idiot.

Unless somebody could maybe, in the meantime, point me in the right direction towards figuring out what I'm doing...?

EDIT: Okay, so it looks like FancyText actually has the effect I was looking for. I couldn't find it because I was searching as two words instead of one. Oops. Still don't really know how to use it, but I'm closer than I was before. Currently looking into it.