Say screen should automatically replace an imagemap

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kafkaontheshore

Say screen should automatically replace an imagemap

#1 Post by kafkaontheshore »

Hello there,

I managed to fix other replacement problems with tag, zorder and modal, but the say screen is no button.
My plan was to automatically make an imagemap (with icons, one of them enables you to fast travel, but breaks the game when used during events) which gets replaced when the say screen appears. I could do it manually but that seems like unnecessary work and also many things could go wrong. I tried things, but nothing worked and I am out of ideas.
Any ideas?

Thank you for your time :D!!
Last edited by kafkaontheshore on Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

zmook
Veteran

Re: Say screen should automatically replace an imagemap

#2 Post by zmook »

If you want to have buttons available when the say screen appears, you could add them to the say screen itself -- it's a normal screen, in screens.rpy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "doing it manually" or by "breaks the game when used during events." Perhaps you could share some code of one of the things you tried that didn't work, and it will make more sense?
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

kafkaontheshore

#3 Post by kafkaontheshore »

zmook wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:55 pm If you want to have buttons available when the say screen appears, you could add them to the say screen itself
I am so sorry. I edited my post a bit, that was not what I meant. I meant the opposite. The buttons should constantly be available expect for when the say screen is shown.

Thank you for your answer!

emz911
Regular

#4 Post by emz911 »

Just an idea, in the say screen (in screens.rpy) add:

Code: Select all

on "show" action Hide("yourimagemapscreen")
on "hide" action Show("yourimagemapscreen") #or Call a label, or you might not need this at all, depends on how your game works
Something along those lines!