Error message when trying to launch game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Error message when trying to launch game

#1 Post by parttimestorier »

Someone commented on the itch.io page for one of my RenPy games (Take A Hike!) saying they were unable to play it at all because they get an error message when they try to launch it. They sent me a screenshot of the error message, which just says:
C:\\Users\\DAVID\\Desktop\\??\\take a hike!\\TakeAHike-1.0_win\\lib\\windows-i686\\TakeAHike.exe: Could not open C:\Users\DAVID\Desktop\??\take a hike!\TakeAHike-1.0_win\TakeAHike.py
They also said they're using Windows 10. I tested the game on Windows 10 myself, as did several of my beta testers, and I never had an issue like this. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I wonder if it could have something to do with the name of the folder they've put the game in, since the "??" in the file path seems strange, but I don't know.
ImageImageImage

emz911
Regular

Re: Error message when trying to launch game

#2 Post by emz911 »

Is the ??? path a part of your game or is it a folder on the user's desktop? If it's the latter, it might be that they have given it a non-alphabetical name, maybe suggest them rename the folder or drag it out of there? Just a random guess.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Very likely the folder the game is in contains unsupported characters. Windows will change unsupported characters to "?" if the correct language pack is unavailable and renpy won't work if the language isn't compatible.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/problems ... g-problems
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#4 Post by parttimestorier »

That did turn out to be the issue! I thought it would be something more complicated. Thanks for the help!
ImageImageImage