Audio not playing in web on mobile

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lindsay-jb
Regular

Audio not playing in web on mobile

#1 Post by lindsay-jb »

Hey! So I have this weird issue and I'm not sure what's causing it. I was wondering if any of you have ideas.

I'm putting my game on itch, and I'm working on making it compatible to play on mobile in the browser. Almost everything is working great, but for some reason there's no sound. If you play the embedded web version on tablets or computers, the audio always plays just like it's supposed to. On the phone, when you start the game there's silence, even though I have music that's supposed to play, and usually the music will never turn on. Sometimes though, the music randomly turns on for me when playing on mobile. It only happens when I click back, but it doesn't always happen. I tried it on phones besides mine (all iPhones though), and get the same issue. I also tried requesting the desktop site on mobile, and the music didn't turn on at first but when I clicked back a couple of frames, the music ended up coming on. When using the android emulator feature on ren'py, the music works just like it's supposed to.

Anyway, I have no idea what's triggering the music to turn off/on and why. Do you think it's something in renpy, or is it something in itch.io? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Edit: had my friend on android try and the music worked, so I guess it’s only an iOS thing?