Any way to step through ren'py code with breakpoints, and highlight mouse over variables to see its value?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
henvu50
Veteran

Any way to step through ren'py code with breakpoints, and highlight mouse over variables to see its value?

#1 Post by henvu50 »

Any way to step through ren'py code with breakpoints, while being able to highlight mouse over variables to see their value?

If not, maybe you guys could recommend me a good Python IDE that lets you step through code, while highlighting over variables. An environment of python that's extremely close to Ren'py. Then I could write my code there first, step through, then once I know it's working, copy & paste it over to Ren'py?

I think visual studio has Python in it? Would that work?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Any way to step through ren'py code with breakpoints, and highlight mouse over variables to see its value?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

You can probably use the developer console, specifically the variable viewer
Press shift + O while playtesting
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/develope ... -o-console
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter