Convert Twine 2 interactive story into Ren'py

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
alexei
Regular
Completed: re:shape, Monster Boys Doctor, Hearts and Hexes, The Prince's Heart, Dragon Gazer
Projects: Motifs, Longing for Change, The Sinking of the Dream Chaser, Town of the Damned, Monster Boy Wars
Organization: Funigami
itch: funigami
Discord: alexei#5190

Convert Twine 2 interactive story into Ren'py

#1 Post by alexei »

I've turned my script into a twine story so that I could keep the data more structured and have a visual representation of where I'm going. Is there a way perhaps to convert this into a script with the branching intact and then edit it to import sprites, bgs, etc?

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Convert Twine 2 interactive story into Ren'py

#2 Post by philat »

I'm not aware of any auto convert solutions but you can convert to twee (http://www.motoslave.net/tweego/ ) and working from there shouldn't involve all that much extra work.

alexei
Regular
Completed: re:shape, Monster Boys Doctor, Hearts and Hexes, The Prince's Heart, Dragon Gazer
Projects: Motifs, Longing for Change, The Sinking of the Dream Chaser, Town of the Damned, Monster Boy Wars

#3 Post by alexei »

Thanks, I'll check it out!

alexei
Regular

#4 Post by alexei »

philat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:54 pm you can convert to twee (http://www.motoslave.net/tweego/ ) and working from there shouldn't involve all that much extra work.
By that you mean that twee auto converts the twine story or that I should write my stories using tweego?

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philat »

Twee is the annotation system. Tweego is a program that can convert between twine (html file that can be opened in the Twine program) and twee both ways. Do whatever feels more comfortable for you, but my point is that since twee uses simple text notation it would be easier for you to convert that to renpy script than copy-pasting from the Twine program itself.

Code: Select all

# twee 3 notation
:: a_twine_passage
Content 
[[a_twine_passage_2]]

# renpy script
label a_twine_passage:
   "Content"
   jump a_twine_passage_2

alexei
Regular

#6 Post by alexei »

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying that! You're a life saver!

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#7 Post by Donmai »

You can find a tool to convert Twine 2 into Ren'Py right here in the Cookbook:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19563#p253231
The code may be outdated, and I haven't seen Saguaro in this forum for a long time, but who knows it still works?
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)