webms suddenly not working despite all encoding exactly the same

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dreamlikerain

webms suddenly not working despite all encoding exactly the same

#1 Post by dreamlikerain »

I made some webms for cutscenes which still work just fine, but recently (just this week) after making webms renpy crashes whenever it tries to load them. The encoding of all of them is the exact same despite this? I'm not even sure where to start with fixing this one. It can still load all the webms, just the recent ones I've made haven't worked at all.

HEXdidnt
Regular
Projects: A Night at the Office, Embracing Christmas, The Masquerade Benefit
Deviantart: HEXdidnt

Re: webms suddenly not working despite all encoding exactly the same

#2 Post by HEXdidnt »

Not sure if this is at all related, but I started to have issues with WEBP after recently updating Ren'Py from 7.3.5 to the latest couple of versions. It would report 'Failed to decode WEBP' any time it tried to display one.

The problem went away once I'd updated to a different and more recent Photoshop plug-in, so perhaps it would be worth looking into whether there's an alternate WEBM codec for whichever software you're using to prepare the videos? Possibly it's performed an automatic update recently, and Ren'Py doesn't yet support the latest codec.
As ever, dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind...

dreamlikerain

#3 Post by dreamlikerain »

I'm a bit of a noob so if you can explain how to do that, it would be really appreciated! I am using wondershare filmora to create my webms

HEXdidnt
Regular
Projects: A Night at the Office, Embracing Christmas, The Masquerade Benefit
Deviantart: HEXdidnt

#4 Post by HEXdidnt »

Sorry to say I'm not familiar with Filmora, but I can suggest one way to determine whether the codec might be at fault: try resaving some of the files that still currently work as WEBM (make sure you given 'em a new filename so you're not overwriting files that still work!) and then try resaving some of the faulty files in another format that Ren'Py supports.

Depending on the results, you'd then want to look into where Filmora keeps its active codecs (frequently somewhere within the application folder) and replacing the existing WEBM codec with an alternative version.

There's also The WebM Project website which might be able to offer support, suggestions and, if nothing else, a way to convert files from an intermediate format into WEBM files that Ren'Py will be happy with.

Hopefully there are others in the forum who are more into the video side of things, and able to offer a better insight into how Ren'Py, specifically, deals with video formats.
As ever, dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind...