[Solved] I really need a screen tutorial that teaches basic text format & styling, as if writing an essay.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
henvu50
Veteran

[Solved] I really need a screen tutorial that teaches basic text format & styling, as if writing an essay.

#1 Post by henvu50 »

I'm so pissed off right now. I want to do something so simple, but it's extremely difficult. Can someone please provide a tutorial that shows BASIC FORMATTING in Ren'py screen language? Imagine you need to type an essay, but you're forced to use Ren'py screen language. This means your screen needs margins, indentations, headers, sub-headers, bold, underline, italic, THE BASICS. I really need a tutorial that teaches basic formatting as a subject.

Example:

The Renpy documentation is ONLY good for people who already know how to use ren'py. It doesn't actually TEACH YOU screen FORMATTING. It only serves as a reference which is worthless for new renpy users.
Last edited by henvu50 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: I really need a screen tutorial that teaches basic text format & styling, as if writing an essay.

#2 Post by Ocelot »

So, you want someone to explain how to do something like that, correct?

If so, I might explain what I would use later, I need some sleep right now. Quick code for this example is here:

Code: Select all

screen essay():
    frame:
        style "big_frame"
        has vbox
        xsize 400
        frame:
            style_prefix "essay_header"
            text "Header"
        frame:
            style_prefix "essay_subheader"
            text 'Sub-header'
        frame:
            style_prefix "essay_paragraph"
            text 'Making this in screen language is extremely diffcult. In any modern application, it would take about 60 seconds to design this, but in RenPy it could take HOURS.\nDoes anyone knows a renpy tutorial that teaches basic, rudimentary formatting in RenPy screen language?'

style big_frame:
    padding (10, 10)

style essay_frame:
    background None

style essay_header_frame is essay_frame:
    left_padding 10

style essay_header_text:
    size 32
    underline True
    bold True

style essay_subheader_frame is essay_frame:
    left_padding 20

style essay_subheader_text:
    size 24

style essay_paragraph_frame is essay_frame:
    left_padding 30

style essay_paragraph_text:
    size 16
    justify True

label start:
    show screen essay
    '...'
    return
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

henvu50
Veteran

Re: [Solved] I really need a screen tutorial that teaches basic text format & styling, as if writing an essay.

#3 Post by henvu50 »

Edit: yea, using frames is smart! I wish I knew that like 4 hours ago, lol.

I wish there was a better solution. That looks extremely complicated for something so trivial.

Thank you though. I will study what you wrote. I will strive to understand its insane and over the top complexity. I mean it. I will adapt to this system, but it just seems like there should be a better way.

I can type out exactly what I want in any major word processor, why can't screens be as simple?

I want to design screens in a few minutes, not a few hours.

I wonder if PyTom can design a system that the dumbest person in the world can figure out in less than a few minutes.

Start from the word processor. Every human on this planet knows how to type, bold, italic, tab indent, make font big & small. Why can't screens be as easy?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: [Solved] I really need a screen tutorial that teaches basic text format & styling, as if writing an essay.

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

It's not as complicated as it looks. All you need is a container, such as a fixed, a vbox, hbox, grid, vpgrid, frame, etc.
Inside that you place your other containers and give them padding between each other.
The rest is styling for the text size.

The quick start guide found in the documentation has some useful explanations about how to use these elements and why.

If you still struggle with these basic concepts then you could enlist the help of a programmer, either paid or free.

For what is worth, I do plan to eventually make such a tutorial for modern renpy, but my time is extremely limited
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter