Allowing player to name their save games

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
BBN_VN

Allowing player to name their save games

#1 Post by BBN_VN »

I'm working on a VN that allows for some branching paths and story-arcs, and one of the suggestions/requests I keep getting is to allow players to customize the names of their save games so they are better able to keep track of which branch/arc a save game relates to. In other words, when saving a game, the player is prompted to enter some custom text that will be added to the save game file.

I've been doing a lot of Google searching for guides on how to do this, but most of the threads I've found are from 5 or more years ago and none of the code seems to work. One suggestion I found and tried was adding the following to the "screen file_slots(title):" area of the screens.rpy file, but it didn't seem to do anything whatsoever.

Code: Select all

fixed:
	input:
		value VariableInputValue('save_name')
I'm a real noob with Python and Ren'Py so many apologies if I have stupid follow-up questions.