[UNRESOLVED] I need a way to become a Ren'py Style & Text_Style expert within 60 minutes tops, please help.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
henvu50
Veteran

[UNRESOLVED] I need a way to become a Ren'py Style & Text_Style expert within 60 minutes tops, please help.

#1 Post by henvu50 »

EDIT: Styles, in its current design is extremely time consuming. There needs to be a GUI, or else styling in ren'py will continue to be excessively and pointlessly difficult. If you visit the ren'py discord, you'll see people constantly struggling with styles, getting things to look how they want. This is a visual thing. You need a visual GUI element to design styles properly. Manually coding it is a total nightmare. It's not the end of the world though, but it would be great if there was a better solution over the next 3 years as ren'py evolves.

Anyone have a tutorial that can crash course a new Ren'py user and turn them into a professional Style & Text_Style master within 60 minutes? Literally, after an hour, you become a Style & Text_Style master.

I never, ever want to struggle for 60 minutes trying to center text. That's the dumbest thing EVER.

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: [UNRESOLVED] I need a way to become a Ren'py Style & Text_Style expert within 60 minutes tops, please help.

#2 Post by hell_oh_world »

Would be totally helpful if there is, but not at the moment.
Your best bet is to just resort to other game engines, use Unity or Unreal.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: [UNRESOLVED] I need a way to become a Ren'py Style & Text_Style expert within 60 minutes tops, please help.

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

If you know what you are doing, styling can take as little as a few minutes. If you don't, this can be several times longer but there is a tutorial in the documentation as well as (if limited in examples) the tutorial game packaged with ren'py.

For what is worth, I'm going to eventually release something that can let you design renpy screens using renpy itself in a GUI style.
It is a big project and I'm only in the early stages, not even sure yet if it's going to work properly / as expected.

I have a twitter account linked in my signature if you want to keep an eye on any progress I manage to make.
It won't be for several months, or maybe a year or more at this point as my personal life is currently taking 120% of my free time to work on the project.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

henvu50
Veteran

#4 Post by henvu50 »

hell_oh_world wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:21 am Would be totally helpful if there is, but not at the moment.
Your best bet is to just resort to other game engines, use Unity or Unreal.
You forgot the link to their styling tools.

henvu50
Veteran

#5 Post by henvu50 »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:12 pm If you know what you are doing, styling can take as little as a few minutes.
To be fair, I'll eventually reach that point, but it will take a very long time. I know what you mean, after using it over & over & over & over, eventually, I'll get it, but it would be great if that time spent can be allocated towards learning the intricate parts of python for example.
For what is worth, I'm going to eventually release something that can let you design renpy screens using renpy itself in a GUI style.
It is a big project and I'm only in the early stages, not even sure yet if it's going to work properly / as expected.
I can't wait! This is fantastic news!
I have a twitter account linked in my signature if you want to keep an eye on any progress I manage to make.
It won't be for several months, or maybe a year or more at this point as my personal life is currently taking 120% of my free time to work on the project.
All good, I'm with Renpy for the long term!