Showing two languages in-game simultaneously

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
oleg_svarog

Showing two languages in-game simultaneously

#1 Post by oleg_svarog »

Hello everybody!
Recently I started to translate VNs, got to know Ren'Py SDK, "tl" folder, etc,
but I have not found means for showing two languages in-game simultaneously (i.e. one more textboxe with translation above original one)
It would help to check translation, because sometimes it's difficult to understand the real meaning of characters' dialogue in text editor out of context.
Can you help me with that?

Ren'Py Version of translated game : Ren'Py 7.3.2

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: Showing two languages in-game simultaneously

#2 Post by qirien »

I don't know about showing them simultaneously, but you could add a button to your say screen that lets you switch between languages with the click of a button. Would that help?

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/translat ... l#Language
Finished games:

oleg_svarog

#3 Post by oleg_svarog »

qirien wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:39 pm you could add a button to your say screen that lets you switch between languages with the click of a button.
Clicking on that button on every character's phrase...? This won't suit me, sorry.
Also, it's easier to check translation, seeing both original and translation at the same time.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#4 Post by qirien »

OK, I was thinking that maybe you could use the function renpy.translate_string, but I tried it in one of my multi-language projects and it didn't seem to work.

Code: Select all

$ foreign_what = renpy.translate_string(what, language="spanish")
I was thinking you could put that in your screens.rpy in the say screen and have it show both the original and translated string, but it just showed the original twice. Perhaps I wasn't using that function properly?
Finished games:

oleg_svarog

#5 Post by oleg_svarog »

Python is Greek to me. Maybe, you or somebody would post needed code and where to paste it? Because vague referring to some functions is incomprehensible for me (

tornsoul
Regular

#6 Post by tornsoul »

How about simply having two instances of the same game running at the same time.
One for each language.

No change or coding needed.

oleg_svarog

#7 Post by oleg_svarog »

tornsoul wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:12 pm How about simply having two instances of the same game running at the same time.
One for each language.

No change or coding needed.
oleg_svarog wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:00 pm Switching windows on every character's phrase...? This won't suit me, sorry.
Also, it's easier to check translation, seeing both original and translation at the same time.

tornsoul
Regular

#8 Post by tornsoul »

Just how small is your screen.... (and do you only have one???) that you can't have two instances side by side - So that you can see both at once.

You sure demand a lot without being willing to put in the minimum effort yourself (like clicking an extra time with the mouse...)