Input text prompt to fit in xmaximum

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Input text prompt to fit in xmaximum

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all,

I'm stress-testing my game and noticed that, if the player inputs a very long one word into the input prompt, it overflows out of the box (see image). However, the input works as desired when typical text (with spaces) is written, going to multiple lines and fitting within the box.

This is kind of a non issue, but no doubt some player will spot it and think it's messy. Is there a way to get the input text to wrap (even if it's one long word)?

My code:

Code: Select all

frame:
        background None
        xpos 582
        ypos 442

xmaximum 760
        ymaximum 160

input id "quote" default "" caret theme_image("caret") changed quote_change length 80 exclude "{}" color get_primary() xmaximum 760 ymaximum 160
quote_overflow.png
(6.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Input text prompt to fit in xmaximum

#2 Post by Ocelot »

I don't think RenPy has support for individual word wrap.
You could detect long words in changed function and insert zero-width space symbol to break it up.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#3 Post by Kinmoku »

Ocelot wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:10 am I don't think RenPy has support for individual word wrap.
Ah, that makes sense.
Ocelot wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:10 am You could detect long words in changed function and insert zero-width space symbol to break it up.
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#4 Post by Ocelot »

Z​e​r​o​-​w​i​d​t​h s​p​a​c​e i​s a s​p​e​c​i​a​l c​h​a​r​a​c​t​e​r t​h​a​t i​s t​r​e​a​t​e​d a​s s​pa​c​e a​n​d l​o​g​i​c​a​l​l​y s​e​p​a​r​a​t​e w​o​r​d​s f​o​r w​o​r​d​-​w​r​a​p​, b​u​t d​o​e​s n​o​t h​a​v​e a w​i​d​t​h​, p​r​e​v​i​o​u​s a​n​d n​e​x​t l​​​e​t​t​e​r​s w​o​u​l​d b​e d​i​s​p​l​a​y​e​d t​o​g​e​t​h​e​r w​i​t​h​o​u​t a​n​y ​g​a​p​. E​v​e​r​y w​o​r​d o​f m​y m​e​s​s​a​g​e i​s w​r​i​t​t​e​n w​i​t​h t​h​a​t c​h​a​r​a​c​t​e​r b​e​t​w​e​e​n e​a​c​h l​e​t​t​e​r​. T​h​i​s i​s w​h​y w​o​r​d​s a​r​e b​r​e​a​k​i​n​g i​n s​t​r​​a​n​g​e p​l​a​c​e​s​.

You can detect ling words and break them apart with this character to allow word-wrap to apply to them.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >