Can't upload to Steam: "Public Default Branch Includes 'MarineX.exe'"

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Karrion
Regular
Projects: Murder on the Marine Express
Organization: 1564 Studio
itch: 1564-studio

Can't upload to Steam: "Public Default Branch Includes 'MarineX.exe'"

#1 Post by Karrion »

So, I wanted to upload the game to Steam, but for some reason, it doesn't recognize the executable. I've looked around and most errors are due to the fact that they put the name wrong in the launch options, however, I don't think that's the case in this particular example:

https://i.imgur.com/b0i33uW.png

Left is the steam configuration, right is the content of the .zip I uploaded.

Anyone knows what could be the problem? Is there any easy tutorial on how to upload to Steam specific to Ren'Py? I'm kinda overwhelmed with the options and have been uploading blindly.

Thanks in advance!
1564 Studio, an indie studio dedicated to developing mystery VNs!
Follow us on Twitter for updates on our projects!

Check out our current project, just released on PC, Android, Switch, XBox ONE/Series S/X and PS4/5!
Also available in Spanish, English, French and Japanese!

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

Re: Can't upload to Steam: "Public Default Branch Includes 'MarineX.exe'"

#2 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

When you open the local directory of the downloaded build, what does the file path look like? Based on your screenshot, Steam is looking for:
[Steam Library Path]/[MarineX Steam App Folder]/MarineX-Full-pc*/MarineX.exe

(Also, I'm not sure that the working directory is formatted properly. It might be looking for {[SLP]/[MSAF]//MarineX-Full-pc*/MarineX.exe}, and * may be a wildcard and I'm not sure how that interacts with this.)

As an example of what I do, I generally re-zip my games in such a way that the executables are in the base directory, then leave the working directory blank. That makes it easier for me, since I don't have to figure out relative file paths.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

Karrion
Regular
Projects: Murder on the Marine Express
Organization: 1564 Studio
itch: 1564-studio

Re: Can't upload to Steam: "Public Default Branch Includes 'MarineX.exe'"

#3 Post by Karrion »

That worked perfectly. Thanks! Now the problem is that it says that the package must include a depot for Windows, Linux, and MacOS, and I already have a depot for the first two, but doesn't appear as marked. Do I have to upload a depot for all 3 or am I doing something wrong?

Screenshots for context:
https://i.imgur.com/GDsW0FK.png (The problem)
https://i.imgur.com/DayI9Xi.png (The package)
https://i.imgur.com/VKkCJ0u.png (The depot the package is assigned to and the OS marked)

Edit: I uploaded the Mac version and got a check on that, but still nothing on Windows + Linux
Edit2: I made sure all packages contain both depots, for linux + windows and mac, and still doesn't work. I added launch options for linux, still no check... I reuploaded the version to the depot, still no check :/ I don't know where else to look.
Edit3: Apparently if I mark the depot as windows only, it works. I'll open a new thread about the linux upload to not detract from this topic
1564 Studio, an indie studio dedicated to developing mystery VNs!
Follow us on Twitter for updates on our projects!

Check out our current project, just released on PC, Android, Switch, XBox ONE/Series S/X and PS4/5!
Also available in Spanish, English, French and Japanese!