Uploading the Linux build to Steam

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Karrion
Regular
Projects: Murder on the Marine Express
Organization: 1564 Studio
itch: 1564-studio

Uploading the Linux build to Steam

#1 Post by Karrion »

Anyone knows how this works? I've already uploaded a Windows and Mac depot with no problem, but since I haven't touched Linux in forever, I'm not sure how to proceed with the Linux build. Steam allows upload of depots in .zip format, however the build is in tar.bz2. Do I have to compress the tar.bz2 and upload that .zip? Do I have to put something in the install options for it to work correctly?

This is the installation management for Steam:

https://i.imgur.com/hQTSiV4.png

I assume I have to put something in the "arguments" line and in the executable line but not sure what. Inside the tar.bz2 is another folder and then all the files of the game (except the executable present in the windows version).

All help is appreciated!
1564 Studio, an indie studio dedicated to developing mystery VNs!
Follow us on Twitter for updates on our projects!

Check out our current project, just released on PC, Android, Switch, XBox ONE/Series S/X and PS4/5!
Also available in Spanish, English, French and Japanese!

emz911
Regular

Re: Uploading the Linux build to Steam

#2 Post by emz911 »

You might want to take a look at this guide here:
viewtopic.php?t=29362
If you want to build for all 3 of them (Windows, Mac, and Linux) on Steam, follow the instructions in the link (note that some information are outdated, we can now download API directly from the Renpy launcher). Specifically, when building distribution, you want to select build for market/all platforms. That will give you the three files you need (.exe -> Windows, .app -> Mac, .sh -> Linux).