Question about making a fan game and if it’s ok

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AliceGames

Question about making a fan game and if it’s ok

#1 Post by AliceGames »

Hi, before I go into development, I wanted to ask if making a free fan game about a owned character is ok.
I want to make a Lady Dimitrescu (she’s from resident evil village) dating sim (art would be done by me, and music would be royalty free.)
I don’t know anything about copyright rules so I though I’d ask here. ;u; Do I have to ask beforehand? How does that work?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Question about making a fan game and if it’s ok

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Legally: you have to ask the IP owner (Capcom in this case). The answer is almost universally "No".

In reality: as long as whatever you doing is small, self-published and non-commercial, most companies wouldn't care (unless it's Nintendo. Or Disney). Worst that happens is harshly worded Cease and Desist letter (always leave an obvious way to contact you with these), if some company lawyer had a bad day and decided to make your day worse.

So, to reiterate: no publishing on Steam and other large platforms, no posing as official material, no paid anything in the game. Comply with C&D letters, if they arrive, unless you want to throw money at your lawyers in losing battle.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >