Using more than one menu background images

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
JimPanse

Using more than one menu background images

#1 Post by JimPanse »

Hi guys,

so here's my question:

I'm creating two different versions of the same game and I'd like the menu background to change according to what version the player uses.
So let's say there is a standard version and an advanced version,

in the gui.rpy I can change the normal bg image in this line:

define gui.main_menu_background = "gui/bg_full.png"

I guess that this is where I could be able to define another background image, so for example:

define gui.main_menu_background_1 = "gui/bg_full_1.png"

the problem is: where and how do I tell renpy to choose a background according to the used version?
I've already created two different script files because depending on the version, dialogue changes on some occasions.
Do I have to use two different gui.rpy files as well or is there another way of achieving this?

Thanks guys :)