Not removing old say text

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RewindTheGame
Regular

Not removing old say text

#1 Post by RewindTheGame »

Is there a way to display new say text without removing what's already on the screen?

I'm displaying the text of my game in a comic style, where text boxes pop up at different places on the screen and it all works fine. The problem is that you get one text box, then it vanishes when another one appears somewhere else on the screen. Ideally, I would like to be able to do something like:

Narrator "Somewhere, an owl hoots"
Narrator "James looks around, startled"

and have the first line appear. Then the player clicks and the second line appears without removing the first line - and this should work for as many pop ups as I want until I manually say to stop. Don't worry about the mechanism for displaying different say text at different locations on the screen - that's all dealt with already, so the code above won't display the text on top of each other (I've missed out the extra lines that position the text for simplicity) - but I'd just like to know how to stop dialogue going away when I display new dialogue.

Thanks.