Imagemap with lockable/unlockable hotspots and transitions?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Shinlocke

Imagemap with lockable/unlockable hotspots and transitions?

#1 Post by Shinlocke »

I am trying to create an information page that ultimately I can reuse the same code to reuse the functionality. The main purpose is to display Faction/Federation information on the various factions encountered as you go through the chapters/unlock them. I was then thinking of using it for character bio's as they met characters within the game. It might also be utilized for navigation/map, maybe.

The basic idea is a grid background/image that shows a picture/name of the various factions. For initial start and creation, we'll say there are 6, although there are more once I understand the concept I can usually expand beyond that.

example_01.jpg
Normal display, not hovering over any of the images.

When you hover over one of the images (hotspot?) then an image slides/dissolves upward covering that image. If you unhover, move off the hotspot, it reverses/returns back to normal. If you click on it it takes to the main page. Then there is a button on that page that returns them to this page.

example_02.jpg
Hovering over the top left image, image slide appears.
example_01.jpg
Unhovering, moving off the hotspot, image slide vanishes and background is there.
example_03.jpg
Hovering over lower left image, image slide appears.

It is similar to a gallery in which this information can be unlocked/discovered. As you progress more information is passed into the page. I originally started with the code I'm using for my gallery by changing the class (I think that is the correct term) but could not get it to work. I spent a few days on it and eventually gave up as it it seemed over my head.

I tried to start over, this time tackling a different method because I saw someone wanted something similar with an imagemap, hotspots. This got me a bit closer. I can hover over the spots, the hover images appear where they want. If I click on one of them, it takes me the label for it.

Code: Select all

## Screen name to call to use ##
screen federation_list():
## The imagemap, the action(?) for the images are self explanatory ##
    imagemap:
#        idle "federation_idle.jpg"
        ground "fed_list.jpg"
#        hover "federation_hover.png"

## hotspots, active spots on the image that when you hover, unhover, click do something (xpos, ypos, height, width)
        hotspot (229, 212, 420, 236) clicked Jump("fed_ur") hovered ShowTransient("hover_a", img="hover_a.png") unhovered Hide("hover_a")
        hotspot (229, 548, 420, 236) clicked Jump("fed_ec") hovered ShowTransient("hover_b", img="hover_b.png") unhovered Hide("hover_b")
        hotspot (749, 212, 420, 236) clicked Jump("fed_se") hovered ShowTransient("hover_c", img="hover_c.png") unhovered Hide("hover_c")
        hotspot (749, 548, 420, 236) clicked Jump("fed_ad") hovered ShowTransient("hover_d", img="hover_d.png") unhovered Hide("hover_d")
        hotspot (1270, 212, 420, 236) clicked Jump("fed_fc") hovered ShowTransient("hover_e", img="hover_e.png") unhovered Hide("hover_e")
        hotspot (1270, 548, 420, 236) clicked Jump("fed_orr") hovered ShowTransient("hover_f", img="hover_f.png") unhovered Hide("hover_f")

screen hover_a(img):
    add img pos (229, 212)
screen hover_b(img):
    add img pos (229, 548)
screen hover_c(img):
    add img pos (749, 212)
screen hover_d(img):
    add img pos (749, 548)
screen hover_e(img):
    add img pos (1270, 212)
screen hover_f(img):
    add img pos (1270, 548)

label fed_ur:
    "This is the United Republic page."
    return

label fed_ec:
    "This is the Europa Confederation page."
    return

label fed_se:
    "This is the Shingen Empire page."
    return

label fed_ad:
    "This is the Anazi Dynasty page."
    return

label fed_fc:
    "This is the Federated Commonwealth page."
    return

label fed_orr:
    "This is the Outer Rim Republic."
    return
Is there a better way to do this that is cleaner other than me creating a separate screen for each hover? I did try to create a list/class that would pull from a list but didn't kept stumbling.

Can I make the hover do a transition like dissolve or moveup, so it looks like the hover image is sliding up?

How can I make them locked so that the information is unlocked as they go through the story?

Shinlocke

Re: Imagemap with lockable/unlockable hotspots and transitions?

#2 Post by Shinlocke »

Ok, so I figured out I can use a transition with the hotspot. I am not sure if the transition is somehow messed up because of the hotspot, but 'moveinbottom' and 'easeinbottom' when used separately give the desired effect. When I use them here it just looks like it appears.

hotspot (229, 212, 420, 236) activate_sound "audio/button_click.ogg" clicked Jump("fed_ur") hover_sound "audio/button_hover.ogg" hovered ShowTransient("hover_a", transition=moveinbottom, img="hover_a.png") unhovered Hide("hover_a")
I figured out I can make dissolve slower with something like:

define slowdissolve = Dissolve(1.0)
I tried to do something similar to slow movein or easin but either I am not doing it correctly or it doesn't work with movein and easein.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

You might do better to use a vpgrid populated with image buttons, you can't use transforms and ATL with imagemaps
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Shinlocke

#4 Post by Shinlocke »

define wipeupdissolve = ComposeTransition(Dissolve(4.0), before=wipeup)

hotspot (229, 212, 420, 236) activate_sound "audio/button_click.ogg" clicked Jump("fed_ur") hover_sound "audio/button_hover.ogg" hovered ShowTransient("hover_a", transition=wipeupdissolve, img="hover_a.png") unhovered Hide("hover_a")
After a day of searching, trying all sorts of different methods (still not understanding what I'm doing) but I got a little closer to what I was looking for. Added sound effects as part of learning what I can do and not do.

I got close but not quite what I was looking for. The timing is off, needs to be tweaked more but it is close.
Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 pmYou might do better to use a vpgrid populated with image buttons, you can't use transforms and ATL with imagemaps
I created a grid to do some testing using imagebuttons. I did try a vpgrid (not sure the difference between the two) but couldn't get it to work, probably not passing the correct syntax. I figured I would try to accomplish what I would like to see visually with imagebuttons, then worry about how to get them to work in a grid. I created the image button, hover, idle are working but not sure how to apply a transition or effect to the hover part.

screen fedfaction_list:
    imagebutton:
        idle "faction_ad_idle.png"
        hover "faction_ad_hover.png"
        xalign 0.5
        yalign 0.5
        action Jump("fed_ad")
        hover_sound("audio/button_hover.ogg")
        activate_sound("audio/button_click.ogg")

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

I don't have the time to help properly, sorry.

But this should point you in the right direction.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22565&start=75#p455107
It still works the same way in modern renpy and has several examples.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Shinlocke

#6 Post by Shinlocke »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:52 pmBut this should point you in the right direction.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22565&start=75#p455107
It still works the same way in modern renpy and has several examples.
Thank you. It did help get me closer. I am learning some of the terminology. I can get it to happen, but I think it is literally transorming the imagebutton to the one below because the clickable area also ends up changing with the button itself.