Choppy sound?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.

Choppy sound?

#1 Post by Guest »

So I am, as apparent by the guest account, completely new- stumbled upon this about two hours ago- and obviously not making any games yet. I just was messing around in the tutorial and the sound is all very choppy, both the music and the sound effect (just the test one under options, it's all I heard so far). I tried looking around for answers but didn't find anything... so sorry if this has already been answered and I just fail at searching. Anyways, I initially was using 6.10.0, and then tried 6.9.3 to see if maybe my computer just disagreed with the most recent release since it sounds like a lot of stuff has changed, but I have the same problem in both. It's just very choppy, almost like it's lagging or something. Running Windows XP, in case it matters. Help, anyone? (Please don't eat the newb?)

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: Choppy sound?

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Try sending a PM to PyTom with your system specs, which version, and hopefully he can help you.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

Hello...

I too used to have the same problem you're now experiencing. Renpy is not the problem here... I think you got too many processes like spyware/malware and other "legitimate" things running in the background eating system resources.

Even if you scan your computer, chances are it'll just get re-infected since you most likely got infected by a newer boogies "before" you got your antivirus updated to detect newer threats.

Follow my instructions: [This only applies to Windows users]
● Purchase a large external HD or a large capacity USB drive.

● Copy every data you got... don't even bother scanning them... just copy them.

● Get you CPU drivers ready (you know, those driver discs that comes with your computer)

● Format you computer and re-install your OS

● Install drivers

● Once you got your drivers installed, download Avast free edition at http://www.avast.com.

● Register your free avast (it's free, you just need a legitimate working email)

● After registering, open your mail and look for the mail send by Avast guys trying to confirm your registration. See the password/code thingy. Copy it (CTRL+C)

● Now look at the bottom right of your screen. You'll see this blue sphere with "a" scribed on it. Right click on it and choose "about avast!" A new window will pop-up. Now click on the license button on the lower part of the pop-up box. Paste the registration code (the one you got in the email) and click OK.

● Insert/Plug your USB/External HD into your "now pristine" computer but don't open/browse/explore it. If windows asked you what to do with it, choose "do nothing"

● Go to "My Computer" (Actually, your computer) You know, the usual Start > My Computer In there, you'll see all your Drives including your now plugged-in USB/External HD thingy.

● Right click on it and choose scan this drive (or simply scan that thingy for viruses and other... things)

● Wait for it to finish.

● Once finished, unplug your USB/External HD thing and re-plug it... or just plug it back...

● You can now copy your old files back to your computer.
This is how I got rid of my sound problem... hope this helps... :)

"POOF" (Disappears)

#4 Post by Guest »

Is it really ok to PM the main admin for a problem like this? I mean if that's the solution I'll do it, but it seems a bit.. forward. I mean. Especially since they just put out a new release last night, I imagine they're very busy right now.

@mugenjohncel- While I appreciate the detailed directions, I don't think that's it. I actually ran a virus scan and a separate adware scan last week (Avira and Adaware), as I do once a month every month. Also if too many processes and/or adware/malware were the problem, I'd be having lagging problems in other programs too. And just making a quick check in task manager my CPU usage is pretty low (below 10%) most of the time. So... I hate to discount honest advice but I'm pretty sure that's not it.

With a bit of further searching though, I found a forum thing where somebody mentioned an incorrect instillation causing some kind of problems? Anyone know anything about that? I'm not sure how you could incorrectly install since it's just a zipped folder, but... is there some kind of setup utility I'm missing somehow?

WinKi

#5 Post by WinKi »

I had the same problem. And it seems the cause was in my Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 driver. This hell only stopped when I've updated the drivers to the latest stable I could find.

So, the distorted sound is usually caused by SDL Mixer and your hardware drivers.