RenPy Crash With AutoReload On, PC Black Screens

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Calamity Kitz
Completed: Beneath Her Starry Sky
Organization: Sylphong, Inc.

RenPy Crash With AutoReload On, PC Black Screens

#1 Post by Calamity Kitz »

Hello! Hope you're all doing well :)

I've been working with older RenPy versions for awhile now, was running on v.6.9 but recently switched up to 7.4.8.1895 and had to switch from Editra to Atom due to Editra no longer being supported.

I normally code with the game open and Auto-reload on, it's so helpful for creating screens and adjusting images. However, I switched to a new PC and ever since I've been experiencing random crashes with RenPy when saving in Atom, the program will autoreload as normal but then the whole PC black-screens and the RenPy executable crashes. I use two monitors, both go black for a few seconds, then when it all comes back RenPy is gone and sometimes crashes again if I try to reopen it.

I see this in Event Viewer:

The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

A TDR has been detected.
The application must close.

Error code: 7
(pid=15008 tid=8764 renpy.exe 64bit)

Visit http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633 for more information.

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Has anyone experienced anything like this issue before? And by all means, if anything else is needed, please let me know!
-----------
Owner of Sylphsong, Inc. and a lover of cheesecake.
Beneath Her Starry Sky:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2241 ... tarry_Sky/

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: RenPy Crash With AutoReload On, PC Black Screens

#2 Post by Ocelot »

I had the same problem with outdated graphic card drivers. Make sure you have latest version downloaded from nvidia website.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Calamity Kitz
Completed: Beneath Her Starry Sky
Organization: Sylphong, Inc.

Re: RenPy Crash With AutoReload On, PC Black Screens

#3 Post by Calamity Kitz »

Ocelot wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:59 am I had the same problem with outdated graphic card drivers. Make sure you have latest version downloaded from nvidia website.
Yep they've been fully up to date. This is a brand new PC, which is what makes it odd. It feels like RenPy isn't playing nice with something.

Here's a bit more information, after the game crashes and the screen goes black for a sec:
- The RenPy launcher won't load again. It tries, but the screen goes black again, then RenPy is nowhere to be seen, not even on Task Manager. Rebooting fixes this.
- The crash actually messed with an audio driver, curiously enough. Opening anything that relied on producing sound crashed the PC. Rebooting fixed this.

It's like there's something RenPy does that makes the GPU go "No bueno," and bam it's on strike. Which is odd since the GPU works fine otherwise, no issues with any other programs. It's my little RenPy that's the outlier, but I'm curious if anyone's had luck with any Nvidia settings or anything that could potentially cause this?
-----------
Owner of Sylphsong, Inc. and a lover of cheesecake.
Beneath Her Starry Sky:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2241 ... tarry_Sky/