[SOLVED] Self-Voicing and Screens

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

[SOLVED] Self-Voicing and Screens

#1 Post by qirien »

I have some visually-impaired users trying to play my game, so I'm trying to improve things for them! One issue is that during self-voicing mode, when there is a screen on top of another screen (often a modal screen), it reads the bottom screen first. I would expect that it would not read the bottom screen at all since the top screen is modal and you can't select anything from the bottom screen.

In this screen, it reads the computer screen under the main screen first, and then the parenting handbook information. I was hoping it would read the screen on top and ignore the screen on the bottom since you can't even click on it.

Is this intended behavior or did I write my screens incorrectly or is this a bug?
screenshot0032.png
Edit: Looks like it was a bug, and fixed: https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/3030
Finished games: