[Solved] Game window is larger than selected resolution - why? Because Windows "Scale and Layout" set to 125%

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dingotush

[Solved] Game window is larger than selected resolution - why? Because Windows "Scale and Layout" set to 125%

#1 Post by dingotush »

This is probably a newbie question, but I really don't have a handle on why this happens or how to workaround/stop it.

In the launcher I created a new project at the default 1280x720 resolution. After a few days getting the main dialogue of the game down I turned to doing some backgrounds. To get a feel for what would be obscured by the say screen I screen-grabbed the running game, and was surprised to find it (minus the window decoration) was 1600x900! It had been upscaled by x1.25.

The background image I had roughed out was done at 1280x720 as that's what I had configured (and matches the gui.init line), and in a clear line style .png (rather than the typical .jpg). Sure enough there were jaggies on the lines from the upscaling. Not pretty!

My best guess is that somewhere in the depths there's logic that's saying 1280x720 on a 1920x1080 display is a poor choice, we can go bigger! Can this be stopped? I know the engine does scale when the window is re-sized by the user, but it would be nice if could start at the correct resolution. And with "the assets at their sharpest" as the launcher says.

If not, is there a work-around? If I make the background image larger (eg. 1600x900) it still scales it up even more.
Last edited by dingotush on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Game window is larger than selected resolution - why? Can it be stopped?

#2 Post by hell_oh_world »

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/other.ht ... sical_size

Code: Select all

label splashscreen:
  $ renpy.set_physical_size((config.screen_width, config.screen_height))
  return

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

It's also possible your screenshot software is grabbing from the frame buffer, which may have a different resolution to the video output depending on what technology the pixels on your monitor use. (pixels aren't actually square)

What happens if you press S and then look in the screenshots folder (located where you installed renpy if you're running from the launcher)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

dingotush

#4 Post by dingotush »

So it turns out it was Windows/Operator error.
Imperf3kt wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:48 pm It's also possible your screenshot software is grabbing from the frame buffer, which may have a different resolution to the video output depending on what technology the pixels on your monitor use. (pixels aren't actually square)
That's a good point - I screen grabbed the whole display and the game was still the wrong size.
hell_oh_world wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Code: Select all

label splashscreen:
  $ renpy.set_physical_size((config.screen_width, config.screen_height))
  return
This looked promising, but didn't actually change anything. It did get me looking elsewhere though, and I found the problem ...

About a year ago I started developing cataracts, and at some point I'd gone into Windows display settings and altered the "Scale and Layout" to 125% (Windows recommends 150% on my laptop) to make things easier to read. Post surgery I had completely forgotten I'd done this. Anyway it's now back at 100%, and RenPy is behaving as it should. Well, it always was!