Can you incorpoate Kivy or pygame with renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
alexei
Regular
Completed: re:shape, Monster Boys Doctor, Hearts and Hexes, The Prince's Heart, Dragon Gazer
Projects: Motifs, Longing for Change, The Sinking of the Dream Chaser, Town of the Damned, Monster Boy Wars
Organization: Funigami
itch: funigami
Discord: alexei#5190

Can you incorpoate Kivy or pygame with renpy?

#1 Post by alexei »

Is it possible to extend the functionality of ren'py and making minigames by incorporating Kivy or pygame? Any guide or tutorial?

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Can you incorpoate Kivy or pygame with renpy?

#2 Post by hell_oh_world »

renpy is already running on top of pygame.
kivy is a whole another engine used to make apps the most. and it also runs on top of pygame.
your only choice is to pick from two of the engines. renpy has its advantage when it comes to games and VNs since its already pre-built like that.
In kivy, you have much freedom, but you need to be experienced enough to incorporate visual novel logic/minigames etc. since you will be building those from scratch.

alexei
Regular
Completed: re:shape, Monster Boys Doctor, Hearts and Hexes, The Prince's Heart, Dragon Gazer
Projects: Motifs, Longing for Change, The Sinking of the Dream Chaser, Town of the Damned, Monster Boy Wars

#3 Post by alexei »

hell_oh_world wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 am renpy is already running on top of pygame.
kivy is a whole another engine used to make apps the most. and it also runs on top of pygame.
your only choice is to pick from two of the engines. renpy has its advantage when it comes to games and VNs since its already pre-built like that.
In kivy, you have much freedom, but you need to be experienced enough to incorporate visual novel logic/minigames etc. since you will be building those from scratch.
Thanks for clarifying. I just found out that renpy is running on top of pygame. Do you know perhaps how to incorporate pygame library with Ren'Py? I've seen some old guides and a reference on the frameworks page, but it's out of date.

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by hell_oh_world »

I'm not sure in what way do you want to incorporate pygame in renpy? Its already there, its just abstracted by renpy itself for the purpose of ease of use.
If you're talking about blitting and stuff...
CDD, through canvas, you can actually do some of pygame's drawing functions. You can do that in the render method of the displayable.

alexei
Regular

#5 Post by alexei »

hell_oh_world wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 pm I'm not sure in what way do you want to incorporate pygame in renpy? Its already there, its just abstracted by renpy itself for the purpose of ease of use.
If you're talking about blitting and stuff...
CDD, through canvas, you can actually do some of pygame's drawing functions. You can do that in the render method of the displayable.
I'd like to make mini games within my VN, such as solving puzzles etc. That's why I'm thinking of pygame would be a good idea for simple games within renpy.