Can you make a Ren'Py-made game with a collection of non-continuous stories?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
uzuchii

Can you make a Ren'Py-made game with a collection of non-continuous stories?

#1 Post by uzuchii »

Hello! I hope I put this in the right board, and I'm sorry if the title is confusing.
I'm brand new to making visual novels and was planning on making something with my ocs, just to share their stories and whatnot. The thing is, I was really hoping to make event stories that are not tied to main storylines, in addition to the main storylines, the way idol games like Love Live and Bang Dream do. Is there a way to code it so all the stories appear in one collection as banners to click on to start them, so that I could have multiple different small stories within one game, and people could replay them whenever they wanted to? If so, how do I do that?
Thank you!

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

Re: Can you make a Ren'Py-made game with a collection of non-continuous stories?

#3 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

I feel like a potentially simpler way to do this (without needing a separate game for each scene) is to make a custom screen that can play individual labels. In particular, the Replay action would be a great choice since it blocks saving and will return to the screen where it began once the replay ends.

Code: Select all

textbutton "Story 1" action Replay("story1", locked=False)
For more details.

The way I'd do it is to create the screen that has all the scene buttons and change the "start" button to go to that screen instead of doing the default start action. In fact, I've done this exact thing in two of my games (Blooming Nightshade and Flowering Nightshade). In that case I used "Start("labelname")" instead of Replay actions, but that's because the buttons are for starting full routes rather than single scenes.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Can you make a Ren'Py-made game with a collection of non-continuous stories?

#4 Post by Ocelot »

Just notice that you cannot save your game while in replay and sometimes strange thing happens to variables changed while in replay mode. If you have something longer than a few minute scene, it would be better to use Start action
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >