Merge two persistent files?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
emz911
Regular

Merge two persistent files?

#1 Post by emz911 »

Hi! I moved a project into a new project folder and updated my game on Steam, resulting in my users' lost of persistent "read text" from the old version (they cannot skip read text anymore, but all other persistent variables are saved fine).
A friend on Discord told me that to retrieve the read texts, I must copy over the old persistent file from both the games/save folder and %APPDATA%.
I am a bit confused on how I would do that, because they have the same file name and copying it over will only replace the file... Documentation on merging persistent data doesn't specify this part, can someone guide me on this? Very much appreciated!!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Merge two persistent files?

#2 Post by PyTom »

You can try putting one in %APPDATA%, and one in game/saves, and Ren'Py should merge them.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

emz911
Regular

Re: Merge two persistent files?

#3 Post by emz911 »

PyTom wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:00 pm You can try putting one in %APPDATA%, and one in game/saves, and Ren'Py should merge them.
I'll try that! You're the best ;)