NVL mode glitch when transitioning to ADV

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Surox
Projects: Louder than Words ~The Story of a field trip~
Organization: SRX Gameworks
Github: suroxdesigns
Discord: SUROX#0751

NVL mode glitch when transitioning to ADV

#1 Post by Surox »

Hello There :D

I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of years, but I think I've finally hit a roadblock that hasn't been solved.

I'm currently working on a VN with both NVL and ADV windows, and I noticed an odd visual glitch when switching from NVL to ADV for the first time in a scene. It seems as though the NVL window flashes for half a second, empty, before renpy displays the ADV.

While not game-breaking, it certainly is somewhat annoying. As I understand it, it was supposed to be fixed somewhere around version 6.22, according to Pytom atleast.
Has anybody encountered this bug, and if so, do you know of any solutions?

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

P.S : Here's the description of the problem from an older thread I found, for anyone who needs a different wording :

"I've got a number of instances where I switch between NVL and ADV modes. The transition is easy enough - simply define some "ADV characters" and "NVL characters" and use them whenever I want dialog presented in ADV or NVL modes.

Well, the issue I'm seeing is that when I switch from NVL to ADV, I clear the NVL buffer, hide existing sprites, transition to a new BG, and then, for just a fraction of a second, before the ADV window pops up, the NVL window will flash on screen for a second and then disappear."