Strange Jittering Every Time a Scrolling Background Loops

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Aiyuu
Regular
Completed: Ovine Replica
Projects: Ovine Replica, Ursine Science
itch: amorous-ursidae

Strange Jittering Every Time a Scrolling Background Loops

#1 Post by Aiyuu »

I made a scrolling, tiled background for one scene of my project, which does mostly what I want it to: continuously move from left to right across the screen in a loop. However, it's not entirely seamless, since as soon as one loop is finished scrolling, I can see the image shift slightly to the left for a split-second before it continues moving to the right as intended.

This shouldn't be related to appearance of the image itself, since even if there were an obvious seam, I should be able to see the seam continue to move smoothly with the rest of the image, rather than seeing everything jump back.

The image is defined as follows. I would only hope the solution is something obvious I'm overlooking.

Code: Select all

image bg:
    "images/bg.png"
    xalign 1.0
    linear 5.0 xalign 0.0
    repeat

Aiyuu
Regular
Completed: Ovine Replica
Projects: Ovine Replica, Ursine Science
itch: amorous-ursidae

Re: Strange Jittering Every Time a Scrolling Background Loops

#2 Post by Aiyuu »

On one hand, I'd say I've made an embarrassment of myself yet again for solving my own problem so soon after asking for help, but on the other hand, surely you can't blame my confusion when every result for a search on how to make such a simple visual effect has a different answer. The answer I needed is in this thread I found here after a little more digging:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63169