Caching audio and gapless playback (future plans?)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
FulminisIctus
Regular
Projects: Mycorrhiza, LoveSick Darlings, Human Reignition Project, Episicava, Caladria Chronicles, Ah My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell, Cautionary Tale, Visual Novel Audio Pack Vol 1 and Vol 2

Caching audio and gapless playback (future plans?)

#1 Post by FulminisIctus »

From what I understand caching audio and gapless playback are both features that are not supported in RenPy, is that correct? I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know if they've maybe stumbled upon these topics or have heard PyTom mention them before, maybe as features that he might look into at a later point. I unfortunately couldn't find much.

The gapless playback question is more out of pure curiosity since the majority of devs seem to be using ogg vorbis, though I could imagine it saving people new to game development some trouble as they struggle to figure out why their mp3 files don't loop seamlessly.

The audio caching one is a bit more practical. RenPy games aren't usually memory intensive or are as dependent on short latency, but it might be good to know whether you could decompress and load audio files into memory in advance to decrease playback delay if necessary. I've also been setting up dynamic audio playback with music playing on different layers, which desynchs every now and then. Being able to load the audio files into a cache might solve that problem.
I'm a composer and sound designer! You can find more info about my services - and if I'm free to take on a job at the moment - by viewing my commission doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0Z ... sp=sharing)!