Multi-Game Persistent for Android? [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Tiimx
Projects: Promises Season 1
Organization: Tiimx Studios
itch: tiimx-studios
Discord: Tiimx#0001

Multi-Game Persistent for Android? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Tiimx »

Hello! I'm Tiimx and the lead developer for Promises S1. First off, I'm using Renpy version 7.4.10.2178 And I want to know if there is ANY way to get persistent data to carry over to another game on android. I have it working for PC/Linux and Mac by doing
init python:
switches = MultiPersistent("PS.renpy.tsx")
And putting all variables I want to carry over in the file switches.rpy
I call/set the conditions of them in game by doing
$ switches.(variable) = True
...as an example. And after some testing, with a rpy file named switches.rpy in the second game, the conditions for the variables do indeed carry over.
Is there any way of doing this for android though? I was told that Ren'Py games for android are sandboxed and don't look outside of their game for data. The Script editor for my game claims he has a way for the game to ask for storage permissions, to check the persistent files outside of the game, although this hasn't actually been tested on a second game for android. The problem with this is every time I want to do an android port for my game, I'd have to have him do it as apparently, the code he uses doesn't work for the newer version of Renpy??? (He uses v7.3.5)

Hopefully (if it's even possible to do) someone might have an easier way to do this?