How to add icon to EXE without triggering antivirus

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
nightabyss
Tumblr: NightAbyssArt
itch: nightabyss

How to add icon to EXE without triggering antivirus

#1 Post by nightabyss »

Right now I'm making my first Ren'Py game for a class. It's just a prototype now but I want to expand it to a full game.

So designed my own icon and tried adding the .ico file to the base directory folder of the game. It worked but then when I tried the build and sent it over to my beta testers, it triggered a false positive on the antivirus software. They then had to make exceptions to it or run it as administrator. I don't want this to happen when I submit this to my professor nor do I want anyone who downloads my game to get the wrong idea. I know other Ren'Py games I've downloaded and played in the past don't trigger this and I can't figure out why this happens to mine.

I already replaced the windows icon in the gui folder with my own png icon. The icon shows up fine when the game itself is running but not on the actual exe file.

I would really appreciate any help with this!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: How to add icon to EXE without triggering antivirus

#2 Post by papillon »

False positives are a very common issue for new projects. Games can be submitted to some antivirus systems for whitelisting, and many AV tools will calm down once more people are playing the game so that it's not just a "AAA! I've never seen this before! It's new and therefore scary!" file.

Did your testers only start having problems when you changed the icon? Or was that the first time you sent it to them?