Text rendering with {fast} tag

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
togs
itch: togs

Text rendering with {fast} tag

#1 Post by togs »

My apologies, I KNOW I've seen a reference to this somewhere, but can't find it!

I have a scene where a character calls out to another, repeating his name, with a pause in between iterations, like this:

"Steve... Steve! I mean it, Steve, I'll quit... Steve!"

The code, such as it is, looks like this:

Code: Select all

ls "[pname]..."

ls "[pname]...{fast} [pname]!"

ls "[pname]... [pname]!{fast} I mean it, [pname], I'll quit..."

ls "[pname]... [pname]! I mean it, [pname], I'll quit...{fast} {i}[pname]!{/i}"
My problem is that the text is rendered slightly differently with each line, so it kind of jumps around a little.

As I said at the beginning, I know I've seen this mentioned. Can anyone point me to the solution?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Text rendering with {fast} tag

#2 Post by Ocelot »

You have several possibilities.

First of all, you do not even need several line. A wait tag will work there just fine:

ls "[pname]...{w] [pname]!{w} I mean it, [pname], I'll quit...{w} {i}[pname]!{/i}"
If you do need several tags (for example, if there are sprite changes between lines), then done tag should be used:

ls "[pname]...{done} [pname]! I mean it, [pname], I'll quit... {i}[pname]!{/i}"
ls "[pname]...{fast} [pname]!{done} I mean it, [pname], I'll quit...{fast} {i}[pname]!{/i}"
ls "[pname]... [pname]!{fast} I mean it, [pname], I'll quit...{done} {i}[pname]!{/i}"
ls "[pname]... [pname]! I mean it, [pname], I'll quit...{fast} {i}[pname]!{/i}"
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

togs
itch: togs

Re: Text rendering with {fast} tag

#3 Post by togs »

Wow, I really overthought that one!

Thank you!