Ren'Py 7.4.11 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 7.4.11 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

I'd like to announce Ren'Py 7.4.11, the eleventh patch release to Ren'Py 7.4. This is another fix-only release, with a special focus on Android and ChromeOS support via android.

Check the changelog to see the full list of changes, as there are changes that affect every platform.

Downloads of 7.4.11 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/7.4.11

A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelog.html

A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/incompatible.html

Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

zmook
Veteran

Re: Ren'Py 7.4.11 Released

#2 Post by zmook »

After running an Update to 7.4.11, the Ren'Py sdk crashes on startup with error:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
ScriptError: Name (u'renpy/common/000atl.rpy', 1631219226, 13) is defined twice, at renpy/common/000atl.rpy:25 and renpy/common/000atl 2.rpyc:25.

….
Darwin-21.1.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
This was a copy of the SDK I've been updating in place since 7.4.5. Dunno why it happened. 000atl.rpy was far from the only one duplicated; just the earliest one to get loaded I guess.

No big deal, I'm just going to download a fresh copy of the SDK; thought I should report it for completeness.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

zmook >>> Is your copy of Ren'Py in a dropbox or something similar? I don't think there's anything in Ren'Py proper that can append a 2 like that.

zmook
Veteran

#4 Post by zmook »

It's in iCloud Drive. Mac OS in general will rename files like that when you copy something to a location where a similarly-named file already exists, or at least Finder does. I don't know what functions the renpy sdk uses.

Moving my dev folder into iCloud might be the most likely culprit, but I've also upgraded from Mac OS 11 (Big Sur) to 12 (Monterey) since the last time I upgraded Ren'Py.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

That's likely it - Ren'Py will make it's own files, and so it's possible there will be a conflict like that.

gofa4a

#6 Post by gofa4a »

I ran into a problem and so far no one has solved it on the forum. A question to the creator of this engine. Live2D animation has a default_fade parameter, which when set to "0" makes the animation loop if it has no seams. This is what I need. But how do I make a smooth transition from one character emotion animation to the second? If the value is "1" - then the transition between animations is perfect, but then my looping animation does not work correctly when replayed. If the value is "0", then the looped animation works well as it should, since it is seamless, but when switching to another emotion, an unpleasant jump occurs (there is no smooth transition). Is there a solution to my problem so that a seamless animation and a 1 second fade transition between animations can be used? It might be worth separating these 2 parameters "current animation" and "transition between animations" so that we can set the values in both cases.

I apologize if I wrote in the wrong place.

zmook
Veteran

#7 Post by zmook »

gofa4a wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:55 pm I apologize if I wrote in the wrong place.
Your question is fine, but it should be posted as its own topic in the Questions and Announcements forum, with a descriptive subject.
colin r

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#8 Post by ISAWHIM »

Will you be keeping RenPy 7.x around for a while, along side of RenPy 8.x?

I know that you might not want to have two versions kept, side-by-side, forever. But I think that it should be kept, only for "fixing patches", while V8.x continues to get "features". Especially since many creators, like myself, take a bit longer to develop titles. (I have already had a few "features" break my code, which I never had any intention of using.) However, on the reverse... If we could flip back and forth between 7 and 8, sustaining them both, I am sure I would find a good use for new features that 8 would provide, as well as it making cross-development conversions a little easier to manage.

NOTE: My code is not exactly "standard" at times... Usually that is the code I am talking about, when it "breaks". I have rarely had normal code "break". :P

I also assist others with development. Some are not interested in jumping to 8 any time soon. Having the Dev console isolate those two "groups", would be awesome, as well as sustaining the continued use of both versions. (I am eager to try 8, because I have been waiting for python-3.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

The goal will be to keep 7.x around for a year or so, to let people with games in development have time to get them released. (This schedule may change in either direction depending on how hard it is to get 7.x working.)