Dialogue next line replacement animation [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
MisterHarold
Regular

Dialogue next line replacement animation [SOLVED]

#1 Post by MisterHarold »

I wonder if it's possible to switch two different language/text in the dialogue box? The first one would be another language then it will transition into its english translation. Only example I could think of was the Decepticons' introduction in the first transformers movie where they would speak in their native language then transition into english.
Last edited by MisterHarold on Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

zmook
Veteran

Re: Language shift text animation

#2 Post by zmook »

Could you write out (or create an image) showing an example of what you have in mind? It would help to be sure we're answering the right question.

Also, do you think you might ever translate the whole game into some other language than English? If we find some way to use (or abuse) the built-in translation system for in-game effects, that would likely prevent you from ever using it for its intended purpose.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

MisterHarold
Regular

#3 Post by MisterHarold »

From this
1.png
To this after clicking
2.png
It doesn't need to be an actual translation, and it doesn't need to be a real world language. It could be a made up one. I just want to know if there's some form of text transition/animation where the first text fades out and the english translation appears, instead of just clicking and going to the next line.

Here's the first example I mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxPB6BNPf5Q

MisterHarold
Regular

#4 Post by MisterHarold »

Alright, I think I had an idea on how to do it after reading viewtopic.php?t=21344
What I did was:

Code: Select all

label start:
    "3$plO (+08aaA H^@_OO{nw}"
    "{cps=0}This is the english translation{/cps}"
return
The {nw} tag calls the next line after the first text has been displayed and the {cps} tag immediately displays the line of text in an instant. I can also adjust the speed of the text display.

Now, just have to add some cool transitions.

*Also, had to edit the subject title of this topic because it was confusing

enaielei
Veteran
Organization: enaielei
Tumblr: enaielei
Deviantart: enaielei
Github: enaielei
Soundcloud: enaielei
itch: enaielei
Discord: enaielei#7487

Re: Dialogue next line replacement animation

#5 Post by enaielei »

The cookbook section seems to have what you're looking for: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=59587