Renpy 7.3.5 RAPT/Android assets folders end up twice in APK

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
naughtyroad
Completed: First Contact, Light of my Life
Projects: Light of my Life
Deviantart: NaughtyRoad
itch: naughtyroad

Renpy 7.3.5 RAPT/Android assets folders end up twice in APK

#1 Post by naughtyroad »

Hi, this issue is killing me and I could really use some help with this.

I'm building an Android version of my game, using Ren'py 7.5.3 (and staying on that for backwards compatibility).

Previous versions of my game built just fine with that version, but with the latest installment, I've added quite a big number of images (from around 7k of images to 11k). And before you ask, they're not frames in a movie, but a huge amount (and I mean huge) of multi-part sprites for different emotes of the characters in different locations/lighting conditions, with scripted moving parts, ect. so movies are not a replacement.

When building the APK, the build is successful according to the ren'py launcher, and I don't see any errors. But it comes out as twice the expected size (around 3.5GB). The assets folder is "only" about 1.64 GB.

When I look into the \rapt\project\app\src\main\assets folder, I can see Gradle has created 2 identical folders: one called "game", and one called "x-game". It has basically duplicated the assets. Opening up the resulting APK, I can see both those folders inside the APK as well, which explains the doubling in size.
Looking at the built of my previous version, (using the same ren'py version), I can see the "game" folder should not be in there, at least it wasn't for those.
screenshot assets directory.jpg
I've already made a clean install for ren'py (completely removing it and reinstalling from the downloaded installer, then reinstalling gradle/android SDK through the ren'py launcher). That doesn't solve it.
There have been no changes to the options file that I can see that might explain it either.

Can anyone help explain why there's a "game" folder created under assets that's identical to "x-game"?
Is some build step silently failing (possibly chocking on the large number of images? and is there a log to check?

At this point I'm at my wit's end.

Cheers, NR.

naughtyroad
Completed: First Contact, Light of my Life
Projects: Light of my Life
Deviantart: NaughtyRoad
itch: naughtyroad

Re: Renpy 7.3.5 RAPT/Android assets folders end up twice in APK

#2 Post by naughtyroad »

Hmm, I seem to have solved this issue.

Seems I was a bit to hasty claiming the folder to be identical. A compare using winmerge showed the x-game folder was two files short.

The problems was caused by a file path that ended up juuuust too long; the file fitted into the "game" folder, but when being copied over to the "x-game" folder, it ended up being one or two character too long. Renaming some folders in the structure solved it and now the builds are a lot better behaved too.

I'm a bit miffed that the build didn't fail on that though, it would have saved me quite a bit of hair pulling. :D