Proper method of editing save-game data

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
theCodeCat
Regular
Projects: Lucid9, Mystic Destinies: Serendipity of Aeons

Proper method of editing save-game data

#1 Post by theCodeCat »

Hi,

For a project I'm working with I want to make sure that save files from old versions can be loaded by new versions.
Since the format in which data is stored may change, I'd like to setup a function that can modify save data after it has been loaded.

To give a basic example, let's say in version 1 an integer value is stored directly in "store.someVar" however in version 2 it gets stored in a wrapper class.
So upon loading a save I'd like something like this to run:

Code: Select all

if store.version == 1:
    store.someVar = Wrapper(store.someVar)
However as I understand it, a save-file doesn't just save the current state, it also saves a history of previous states in case the user wishes to rollback.
And from what I understand from looking at the source, these "states" are chained together and just store how data got changed between them.
So if upon loading a file I want my update code to run on *all* saved states, how would I do that?

(Running the update code everytime a rollback occurs is also an option, but I'd prefer it if it only happens when a file is loaded)

Thanks

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Proper method of editing save-game data

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Did you consider simply blocking rollback past current point in case player loads save file with version mismatch?
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

theCodeCat
Regular
Projects: Lucid9, Mystic Destinies: Serendipity of Aeons

Re: Proper method of editing save-game data

#3 Post by theCodeCat »

Ocelot wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:09 pm Did you consider simply blocking rollback past current point in case player loads save file with version mismatch?
I did. It's an option but it feels like a work-around when I want to know how to do it "properly".

That said, maybe that's the better approach anyway. Rollback history might not be reliable if there have been major version changes