How to add a transition to dialogue box only [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
oatnoodles
Regular
Projects: Samuda Interval
Organization: Tomuwa Entertainment
Deviantart: oatnoodles
Github: oatnoodles
itch: oatnoodles
Discord: oatnoodles

How to add a transition to dialogue box only [Solved]

#1 Post by oatnoodles »

I'm looking to have a transition for my dialogue box. I want the dialogue box to slide up+dissolve when shown, and slide down+dissolve when hidden. However, all the transitions I've tried effect the entire screen, not just the dialogue box itself (besides Dissolve like below.)

Current code:

Code: Select all

## Transitions used to show and hide the dialogue window

define config.window_show_transition = Dissolve(.5)
define config.window_hide_transition = Dissolve(.5)
Here's an example of what I want to do.
https://i.imgur.com/4jachbY.mp4
Last edited by oatnoodles on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ren'py amateur looking to learn as much as possible! Please be patient with me.

jeffster
Veteran

Re: How to add a transition to dialogue box only

#2 Post by jeffster »

I think you might need to modify "say screen" (it's defined in screens.rpy) and add a transform there:

window:
        at slide_updown
Try something like this:

transform slide_updown():
    yalign 1.0

on show:
        yoffset 300 alpha 0.0
        easein 0.5 yoffset 0 alpha 1.0

on hide:
        yoffset 0 alpha 1.0
        easeout 0.5 yoffset 300 alpha 0.0

on replace:
        yoffset 0 alpha 1.0

screen say(who, what):
    style_prefix "say"

window:
        at slide_updown
        id "window"

oatnoodles
Regular

#3 Post by oatnoodles »

Thanks for the reply. I tried adding the first part of the code you recommended in the say section of screens.rpy, but I get an error when dialogue happens ("Exception: The say screen (or show_function) must return a Text object."). I'm not sure if I put it in the right place, but just adding "window: at slide_updown" to the say section separately doesn't work.

Here's the code I changed:

## Say screen ##################################################################
##
## The say screen is used to display dialogue to the player. It takes two
## parameters, who and what, which are the name of the speaking character and
## the text to be displayed, respectively. (The who parameter can be None if no
## name is given.)
##
## This screen must create a text displayable with id "what", as Ren'Py uses
## this to manage text display. It can also create displayables with id "who"
## and id "window" to apply style properties.
##
## https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_special.html#say

init -2:
    style say_thought:
        line_spacing -10
    style say_dialogue:
        line_spacing -10

screen say(who, what):
    style_prefix "say"

window:
        id "window"
        at slide_updown

if who is not None:

window:
                id "namebox"
                style "namebox"
                text who id "who"

text what id "what"
Last edited by oatnoodles on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark12ose
Regular
Deviantart: Rosentear

#4 Post by Dark12ose »

Hello, Thank you for the post and the transform as I've been trying to figure out the same exact thing :lol:
jeffster wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:07 pm

yalign 1.0

on show:
        yoffset 300 alpha 0.0

on hide:
        yoffset 0 alpha 1.0

on replace:
        yoffset 0 alpha 1.0
I tried out your transform but unfortunately the "on replace" doesn't seem to work no matter what I put in. The textbox just slides up and down for each dialogue. I changed it to "on replaced" as well but that doesn't work either.
For me I had the "on replace" as:

on replaced:
        linear 0.5 alpha 0.0
        linear 0.5 alpha 1.0
Basically a dissolve/fade effect. But it doesn't seem to read it :( I'm not too familiar with ATL so it can be that I'm doing something wrong and not know about it lol.

Also there's a blank textbox sliding in before the actual textbox with dialogue shows up at the start of the game and whenever a scene changes but I think that's a renpy thing? As it does the same thing when trying to customize textbox for each characters unless it's manually done.
oatnoodles wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:08 pm Thanks for the reply. I tried adding the first part of the code you recommended in the say section of screens.rpy, but I get an error when dialogue happens ("Exception: The say screen (or show_function) must return a Text object."). I'm not sure if I put it in the right place, but just adding "window: at slide_updown" to the say section separately doesn't work.
Try this way

screen say:
    style_prefix "say"

window at textbox_slide:
        id "window"
instead of placing it after the : (the colon). It works that way for me though I am having the problem above.
Note: My mind can be all over the place while I'm writing as I think. If what you read is unclear do tell it to my face :lol:

jeffster
Veteran

#5 Post by jeffster »

Dark12ose wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:57 pm I tried out your transform but unfortunately the "on replace" doesn't seem to work no matter what I put in. The textbox just slides up and down for each dialogue. I changed it to "on replaced" as well but that doesn't work either.

Also there's a blank textbox sliding in before the actual textbox with dialogue shows up at the start of the game and whenever a scene changes but I think that's a renpy thing? As it does the same thing when trying to customize textbox for each characters unless it's manually done.
I have no idea what to do about that. Maybe just leave some "on show" effect, as actually transitions between text pieces do irritate people. Players want to read fast, they don't want to see those beautiful effects again and again. At least I prefer no transitions, no delays when I click through a VN. So maybe they should be reserved only for some special effect cases... :)

Dark12ose
Regular

#6 Post by Dark12ose »

jeffster wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:45 pm I have no idea what to do about that. Maybe just leave some "on show" effect, as actually transitions between text pieces do irritate people. Players want to read fast, they don't want to see those beautiful effects again and again. At least I prefer no transitions, no delays when I click through a VN. So maybe they should be reserved only for some special effect cases... :)
That's true. I myself like to read things fast but I really liked the effect done in "NightShade" otome game and thought it was pretty cool so wanted to try it out haha.
Note: My mind can be all over the place while I'm writing as I think. If what you read is unclear do tell it to my face :lol:

oatnoodles
Regular

#7 Post by oatnoodles »

Try this way

screen say:
    style_prefix "say"

window at textbox_slide:
        id "window"
instead of placing it after the : (the colon). It works that way for me though I am having the problem above.
That worked, thank you.

As for the transform itself, yeah it is kind of annoying. My intention was for the sliding to only happen when the window first shows. As in, if there's another line of dialogue (or multiple) after the first, the sliding in will only happen with the first line of dialogue and the last. It shows this in the example.

The issue of the duplicate text box is happening to me too, not sure how to fix that.

Dark12ose
Regular

#8 Post by Dark12ose »

oatnoodles wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:50 pm
Try this way

screen say:
    style_prefix "say"

window at textbox_slide:
        id "window"
That worked, thank you.
You're welcome. Glad it helped. ^^
As for the transform itself, yeah it is kind of annoying. My intention was for the sliding to only happen when the window first shows. As in, if there's another line of dialogue (or multiple) after the first, the sliding in will only happen with the first line of dialogue and the last. It shows this in the example.
Exactly, that was what I wanted as well but unfortunately the "on replace" does not work at all. If it did it would have done exactly what we both intended :/

oatnoodles
Regular

#9 Post by oatnoodles »

Exactly, that was what I wanted as well but unfortunately the "on replace" does not work at all. If it did it would have done exactly what we both intended :/
I'm still hopeful we could get it working somehow... maybe the transform code needs to be different. To be honest, I just don't have enough knowledge or skill with Ren'py yet to know what else would work. Maybe someone else has an answer.

Dark12ose
Regular

#10 Post by Dark12ose »

oatnoodles wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:09 pm I'm still hopeful we could get it working somehow... maybe the transform code needs to be different. To be honest, I just don't have enough knowledge or skill with Ren'py yet to know what else would work. Maybe someone else has an answer.
Unfortunately I am in the same boat with the lack of knowledge myself. Though, I'll try different transforms with the little knowledge that I have and update this if I come up with anything.

jeffster
Veteran

#11 Post by jeffster »

oatnoodles wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:50 pm My intention was for the sliding to only happen when the window first shows. As in, if there's another line of dialogue (or multiple) after the first, the sliding in will only happen with the first line of dialogue and the last. It shows this in the example.

The issue of the duplicate text box is happening to me too, not sure how to fix that.
It's possible to use conditions in screens. For example, this will show the slide effect only when "Eileen" speaks:
(Also double effect doesn't happen if it's not Eileen that speaks first.)

on show:
        yoffset 300 alpha 0.0

screen say(who, what):
    style_prefix "say"

if who == "Eileen":
        window at slide_updown:
            id "window"

if who is not None:

window:
                    id "namebox"
                    style "namebox"
                    text who id "who"

text what id "what"

## If there's a side image, display it above the text. Do not display on the
        ## phone variant - there's no room.
        if not renpy.variant("small"):
            add SideImage() xalign 0.0 yalign 1.0

else:
        window:
            id "window"

if who is not None:

window:
                    id "namebox"
                    style "namebox"
                    text who id "who"

text what id "what"
It's probably possible to have the slide effect only for certain lines, using characters with arguments (and maybe config.say_arguments_callback):
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/dialogue ... -arguments

Dark12ose
Regular

#12 Post by Dark12ose »

jeffster wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:11 pm It's possible to use conditions in screens. For example, this will show the slide effect only when "Eileen" speaks:
(Also double effect doesn't happen if it's not Eileen that speaks first.)

on show:
        yoffset 300 alpha 0.0

screen say(who, what):
    style_prefix "say"

if who == "Eileen":
        window at slide_updown:
            id "window"

if who is not None:

window:
                    id "namebox"
                    style "namebox"
                    text who id "who"

text what id "what"

## If there's a side image, display it above the text. Do not display on the
        ## phone variant - there's no room.
        if not renpy.variant("small"):
            add SideImage() xalign 0.0 yalign 1.0

else:
        window:
            id "window"

if who is not None:

window:
                    id "namebox"
                    style "namebox"
                    text who id "who"

text what id "what"
This would work if not for the fact that the first speaker's textbox would need to do the transform. Also it causes the transform everytime Eileen is talking as well since that's what the condition is telling it to do so that I understand why. It would be useful when trying out different things specific for that character though.
It's probably possible to have the slide effect only for certain lines, using characters with arguments (and maybe config.say_arguments_callback):
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/dialogue ... -arguments
As for the callback from what I can understand, only one def can be placed within the define config.say_arguments_callback?
So what I was thinking, looking at it, was that have one set to "on show" and one "on hide" and than place it manually if not automated onto the dialogue.
(I certainly don't mind doing things manually if that means I get the result that I want.)

I also realized that the "on replace" wasn't working because there's nothing being replaced. The textbox show and hide with each dialogue never replacing. Unless there is a python that can change all that but my python knowledge is at the very basic level and learning seem to be a really slow process :lol: .

Edit: I looked more closely at the textbox in the default GUI and the double textbox IS a renpy thing. It does it even in the default GUI with or without the dissolve transition. It's just becomes more apparent when you are trying to change colors and such. In other words we can't do anything about the double textbox unless you change the textboxes manually (which for some reason stops the double textboxing).

jeffster
Veteran

#13 Post by jeffster »

Dark12ose wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:09 pm As for the callback from what I can understand, only one def can be placed within the define config.say_arguments_callback?
So what I was thinking, looking at it, was that have one set to "on show" and one "on hide" and than place it manually if not automated onto the dialogue.
I think maybe config.say_arguments_callback is designed basically for preparing variables, so that we can set something short and simple like

e "Saying" (s = 1)
and that transforms into something more complex like

what_color = "#FFEEDDCC"
what_size = 38
I would expect that differentiating various on "show" etc. should be possible via

screen say(who, what, s = 0):
    style_prefix "say"

if s == 1:
        on "show":
            #...
(I certainly don't mind doing things manually if that means I get the result that I want.)

I also realized that the "on replace" wasn't working because there's nothing being replaced. The textbox show and hide with each dialogue never replacing. Unless there is a python that can change all that but my python knowledge is at the very basic level and learning seem to be a really slow process :lol: .
The basic functionality of say screen is simple, so it should be possible to use some custom screen instead. Maybe even

screen say(who, what, s = 0):
    style_prefix "say"

if s == 1:
        use say_sliding
            #...
    else:
        window:
            #...
Edit: I looked more closely at the textbox in the default GUI and the double textbox IS a renpy thing. It does it even in the default GUI with or without the dissolve transition. It's just becomes more apparent when you are trying to change colors and such. In other words we can't do anything about the double textbox unless you change the textboxes manually (which for some reason stops the double textboxing).
It seems that using window hide (or config.window) before dialogue lines removes the double textbox effect.

oatnoodles
Regular

Re: How to add a transition to dialogue box only [Solved]

#14 Post by oatnoodles »

It seems that using window hide (or config.window) before dialogue lines removes the double textbox effect.
I changed some of my code, and I'm happy with the results now. It might not be 100% what I was looking for, but whatever lol.
I made sure to not use [window show] or [window auto] and that fixed all the duplication issues.

Here's the transformation code for anyone interested:

# The dialogue window transformation.
# Fades in and eases from the bottom.

transform WindowEaseBottom:
        on show:
            alpha 0.0
            parallel:
                linear 0.5 alpha 1.0
            parallel:
                xalign 0.5 yalign 1.0
                linear 0.5 yoffset -10
        on hide:
            alpha 1.0
            parallel:
                xalign 0.5 yalign 1.0
                linear 0.5 yalign 1.0 yoffset -30
            parallel:
                linear 0.5 alpha 0.0