Fixing custom image buttons on top of game menu

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
VIVID MAZE

Fixing custom image buttons on top of game menu

#1 Post by VIVID MAZE »

Hello, I am new here, so if I am doing something wrong then let me know. I created a custom main menu with imagebuttons by following this guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5svrv2KN8g

I have everything working right except the last section in that video. Called "Fixing imagebuttons on top of game menu". I will share the comment I posted on that video below.

COMMENT:

In the last section "fixing imagebuttons on top of game menu", I followed all of the instructions but it did not work for me. It just deleted my imagebuttons and brought back the standard main menu. I found another comment on this video saying:

I've found a better method of reconfiguring the game menu so it doesn't have the main menu buttons!

Leave your new code for the image buttons where it is (under screen navigation():).

Go to the end of the main menu code (before where it explains the game menu screen using comments), and type "screen navigation2():" or something to differentiate it.

Then, make a new RenPy project, find the navigation code, copy it, then paste it under your new screen.

Change the "use navigation" in the game menu code to "use [name of new screen here]."

I tried this method as well but I got this error:

File "game/screens.rpy", line 431: end of line expected.

"screen navigation2():"

Can someone please help me?

Dark12ose
Regular
Deviantart: Rosentear

Re: Fixing custom image buttons on top of game menu

#2 Post by Dark12ose »

Hello, I tried to follow that video myself and got extremely confused.

My suggestion is to place the imagebuttons directly inside the screen main_menu itself and have the screen navigation work with game menu only. It will save you the headache of dealing the "fix" part. At least that's the solution I came up with and it was much easier that way.

viewtopic.php?t=22565 This is what I used and hopefully it can help you as well :D
Note: My mind can be all over the place while I'm writing as I think. If what you read is unclear do tell it to my face :lol:

VIVID MAZE

Re: Fixing custom image buttons on top of game menu

#3 Post by VIVID MAZE »

I have it all fixed now, thank you.