Silent crash on auto-reload

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
goldo
Regular

Silent crash on auto-reload

#1 Post by goldo »

Hi,

So I have a problem with auto-reload, it suddenly stopped working completely.

Here is what happens:
- I press Shift+R, auto-reload happens as normal
- The new game state is actually loaded
- Then the mouse cursor turns into a little rotating blue circle for half a second, and the game crashes to desktop
- There is no error, no traceback, nothing in the log

It is very similar to this issue: viewtopic.php?t=48493#p479810

But my video card and drivers are fine.

Since this started I've also had similar silent crashes on some rollbacks, but most rollbacks still work.

A couple of things I can think of that I did in the recent past:
* Someone told me that writing

Code: Select all

default persistent.my_variable = True
was better than

define persistent.my_variable = True
so I changed that

Edit: Changing default to define and deleting all persistent data doesn't help.

* I loaded a player's broken save, and it threw an error about missing a return point. I couldn't ignore it, tried to rollback, it threw a string of errors at me and crashed the game

Can either of those issues have caused auto-reload to stop working?
Last edited by goldo on Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldo
Regular

Re: Silent crash on auto-reload

#2 Post by goldo »

Okay, plot twist: This is not about my project at all, I can open "The Question", and still auto-reload crashes to desktop. This is on a clean install of Ren'py too.

Edit: Turns out I have older versions of Ren'py still installed: 7.0.0 and 7.3.5 auto-reload correctly, but 7.4.9 and 7.4.11 both crash.

If it helps, here is the error I got from the Windows Event viewer:

Faulting application name: pythonw.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61a6b501
Faulting module name: MMDevAPI.DLL, version: 10.0.19041.1023, time stamp: 0x00c1ffe2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001b33b
Faulting process id: 0x6d38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d80bff24ddc8d2
Faulting application path: D:\RenPy\renpy-7.4.9-sdk\lib\windows-x86_64\pythonw.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MMDevAPI.DLL
Report Id: 72c56750-4c60-4c3e-840b-68ccbe45cb73
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

goldo
Regular

#3 Post by goldo »

Sorry to necro this thread, but I once again have this problem. It started with this issue, then was temporarily fixed (for half a dozen reloads or so), then again.

It's similar/identical to issue that have propped elsewhere: https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/4754

Symptoms:
- Loading a saved game works as normal
- Silent crashes on Shift+R autoreload in all projects (including 'The Question'), as described above, on Renpy versions 7.4.9, 8.0.1, 8.1.1 and 8.1.3
- I have to roll back all the way to 7.3.5 to not have that issue

I get the following Application error log in Windows event viewer (comments mine):

Faulting application name: pythonw.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61a6b501
Faulting module name: MMDevAPI.DLL, version: 10.0.19041.3636, time stamp: 0xc90e01ff
Exception code: 0xc0000005 # Always the same on all errors
Fault offset: 0x000000000001b32b # Always the same on all errors
Faulting process id: 0x7e40 # Different for all errors
Faulting application start time: 0x01da49f2831df665
Faulting application path: D:\RenPy\renpy-7.4.9-sdk\lib\windows-x86_64\pythonw.exe # Always the same on all errors
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MMDevAPI.DLL # Always the same on all errors
Report Id: 9e569e1d-c945-4522-93b5-d7118e4e802c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

What I have tried:
- Force recompile
- Deleting persistent data
- Reinstalling Ren'py
- Updating video drivers
- This MMDevApi.dll fix
- Repairing Visual Studio 2015 (of which MMDevAPI.DLL is apparently a part)

These are all shots in the dark though.
Let me add that the last time it happened, it went away on its own after some weeks, and I can't quite explain what fixed it.

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by m_from_space »

goldo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:34 am A couple of things I can think of that I did in the recent past:
* Someone told me that writing

default persistent.my_variable = true
was better than

define persistent.my_variable = true
so I changed that
Probably a typo, but in Python you really have to make sure to write True and False, so it's case sensitive. It wouldn't work like this way anyway, at least if you're not defining an object called true or false to begin with. And yes, you have to use default with persistent variables.

goldo
Regular

#5 Post by goldo »

Yes, it was a typo (edited); it doesn't look like that in actual code. I use define without problems with persistent values for some reason; regardless, it is not the problem here as deleting my project's persistent data and starting only 'The Question' then reloading is enough to reproduce the bug, so persistent data is not to blame.