DDLC crash - on purpose or Ren'Py issue?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AtVN

DDLC crash - on purpose or Ren'Py issue?

#1 Post by AtVN »

Hi,

I'm Still trying to figure out if Ren'Py is the engine I'll go with, so I'm playing a couple of Ren'Py games. DDLC is one I just finished, and it crashed during the end scene on my Windows PC. I'm reading on the net that this is done on purpose? Is that really so? But the whole game looks weird afterward. Save files corrupted, character file corrupted, main menu corrupted.

Is this really part of the game, or is this a Ren'Py issue? If it's a Ren'Py issue, is this something that's known and has possibly been fixed by now?
Last edited by AtVN on Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: DDLC crash - on purpose or Ren'Py issue?

#2 Post by rayminator »

it's part of the game

AtVN

#3 Post by AtVN »

rayminator wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:55 pm it's part of the game
Thanks!

That's a really weird feature, I have to say.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

AtVN wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:35 pm
Thanks!

The entire game is a wild ride about breaking the fourth wall.
The point of the game is that one of the characters in the game, becomes self aware and tries to mess with the game to sway you toward picking her as a love interest since she's not an option. This causes corruption and save issues (faked, not actual issues)
By the end of the game, it should become obvious that this is intentional and how to reset it is told to you, should you wish to start the game all over again.
There is one section where the game enters a loop where it won't load any saves and everything seems corrupted. This is not the end of the game, you are supposed to delete some files to continue.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

AtVN

#5 Post by AtVN »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:48 am
AtVN wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:35 pm
Thanks!

The entire game is a wild ride about breaking the fourth wall.
The point of the game is that one of the characters in the game, becomes self aware and tries to mess with the game to sway you toward picking her as a love interest since she's not an option. This causes corruption and save issues (faked, not actual issues)
By the end of the game, it should become obvious that this is intentional and how to reset it is told to you, should you wish to start the game all over again.
There is one section where the game enters a loop where it won't load any saves and everything seems corrupted. This is not the end of the game, you are supposed to delete some files to continue.
I haven't hit any of these two scenes.
I ended up with one of the characters hanging herself
and the game ending (I mean, it said "End," so I suppose it was the end—I definitely quit the game after that... :D )

Even though I've googled it, and now I've even slept on it, in my mind it undermines the reputation of Ren'Py. :( Well, at least now I know this is not really a Ren'Py issue.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

Late reply, but I came across this thread while looking for something else in my history.

You have only just reached the actual start of the game if thats where you are, there is much, much more content to go. You're about 30% in from what I remember.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter