Movie not playing after relaunch

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
xBc

Movie not playing after relaunch

#1 Post by xBc »

I have been trying to get a movie to play for a while now and this has been the headache of my life every time I fix one problem another arises. The one recurring issue that keeps popping up every time I think I fix a cutscene is after closing the game and relaunching it. The next playthrough the video will not play. Deleting persistant variables will fix this on the next launch but that isn't a realistic fix if players want to be able to save and rewatch movies or play through as second time.

Currently the code I am using is:

Code: Select all

$renpy.movie_cutscene("movies/mov1.webm", delay=None, loops=-1, stop_music=True)
This works well and will play the cutscene properly exactly how I want it every time the first time. But then the above issue occurs where after closing the game and relaunching it never plays again.

I have also tried:

Code: Select all

play movie "movies/mov1.webm" loop
        "test"

stop movie
Which appears to fix the issue of the movie not playing again after closing and reopening, But I cannot get the movie to ever end on a click. if I add the stop movie after text, then the movie never stops. If I don't add the text before stop movie. The movie ofcourse plays and then instantly stops. I don't want to add a timer as that defeats the purpose of it looping. I want players to choose when the scene ends.

I've looked through https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.ht ... ie-sprites as thoroughly as I can, and either there is something I am not understanding about the code, or some of it is not up to date like I assume. i.e. Loop=true does not appear to work as the help page has it written unless i'm misinterpreting it.

edit: Now deleting persistant data is no longer fixing the issue of the video no longer playing.