Plans for multiline input?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jeffster
Veteran

Plans for multiline input?

#1 Post by jeffster »

I know text editing is not the most important feature in VNs, but still...

Some people try to use Ren'Py as a GUI engine for their utilities. Some as IRL role-playing games assistance. And in some games actual in-game notes can be useful.

So I'd like to ask Tom, are there any plans regarding editable text areas, a.k.a. multi-line text input?

If not, I might make such a thing myself. What approach would be advisable?

There is one or two simple text editors built on pygame. I think they can be integrated in Ren'Py as CDD's.

There are probably some C libraries that can provide text editor functionality. They might give better performance, though I've no idea how to integrate them, and last time I programmed in C was not in this century. Still, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Sumoslap
Regular

Re: Plans for multiline input?

#2 Post by Sumoslap »

As you probably know from all the help you've been giving me, Jeffster, I would be super-happy if you were to work on something like this!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Plans for multiline input?

#3 Post by PyTom »

I don't have any plans for multi-line inputs at this time. Making a CDD would be a fine, but it's hard to see how this would be in the scope of Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom