Ren'Py 8.0.0 and 7.5.0 Prereleased

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 8.0.0 and 7.5.0 Prereleased

#1 Post by PyTom »

Ren'Py 8.0.0 and 7.5.0 are currently in prerelease. Please do not make releases with these versions until the release is final.

I'd like to announce Ren'Py 8.0.0, the first release of Ren'Py based on Python 3. This release modernizes Ren'Py by embracing a decade of Python development, and brings the many improvements of Python 3.9 to Ren'Py.

I'd like to announce Ren'Py 7.5.0. This release is a continuation of the Rem'Py 7 series, supporting Python 2.7 and all platforms Ren'Py 7.4 supported, while bringing you many of the new features of Ren'Py 8.0.

Ren'Py 8.0 and Ren'Py 7.5 are the first in what is planned to be a joint series of releases. Ren'Py 8.0:
  • Adds support for Python 3, which is recommended for all new games.
  • Removes support for 32-bit Windows and Linux.
  • Temporarily removes support for the web platform, to be added back in a near-future release.
Ren'Py 7.5:
  • Continues support for Python 2.7, to allow current games to release.
  • Improves support for the web platform, including:
  • Workarounds for changes introduced by web browsers that caused the browser to consume more memory when running Ren'Py, resulting in RangeErrors.
  • Detecting if the audio types supported by your game are available, and falling back if they are.
Ren'Py 8.0 and 7.5 are released in parallel, and share the same source code, which means the bulk of changes apply to versions, including:
  • Support for the Visual Studio Code text editor, including the Ren'Py Language extension. This extension include support for many advanced including live diagnostics and an outline. It also allows access to many other Visual Studio Code extensions.
  • The new dismiss and nearrect displayables provide support for pop-up tooltips and drop-down menus.
  • A rewritten wrapper for Steamworks that supports the full API. This allows for Steam Deck integration, including automatically setting a "steam_deck" variant and displaying the on-screen keyboard.
  • Over 140 issues - a mix of fixes and feature requests - have been addressed in this release.
For a full list of what's changed in Ren'Py 8.0 and 7.5, see the changelog.

Downloads of 8.0.0 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/8.0.0

Downloads of 7.5.0 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/7.5.0

A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html

A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/incompatible.html

Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Ren'Py 8.0.0 and 7.5.0 Preleased

#2 Post by rayminator »

thanks for the update

I think it's time to create a new forum for support for Ren'Py 8.0.0 cause it uses python 3
this way user won't be confused which is what for

is it for renpy 8 or is it for renpy 7

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

Honestly, my experience has been that that probably won't be necessary. I've been running many 7.x games unchanged in Ren'Py 8.x for the past 6 months or so, and haven't had many problems.

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Ren'Py 8.0.0

#4 Post by Andredron »

play movie "video/logo.ogv"

Causes a freeze. In training also hangs
Last edited by Andredron on Mon May 23, 2022 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Ren'Py 8.0.0

#5 Post by Andredron »

PyTom wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:24 pm Honestly, my experience has been that that probably won't be necessary. I've been running many 7.x games unchanged in Ren'Py 8.x for the past 6 months or so, and haven't had many problems.

there is a suspicion that in the cutscene the aspect ratio of the video and the screen of the game was calculated in the old way, without converting to integers. as a result, their screen turned out to be a couple of thousand times wider and a thousand times higher than necessary, so it all

Upd:
on the FIRST start (or after clearing permanent data) the game blinks, the window turns white for a quarter of a second

Triority
Regular
Completed: Welcome To... Chichester 0, 1,2 OVN 1, OVN 2, OVN 3, No Regrets For The Future
Projects: Welcome To... Chichester series
Organization: Triority
Tumblr: Sku-te
itch: triority
Discord: sku_te

#6 Post by Triority »

Yes, videos hang RenPy 8 - I use webm files

There are also problems installing the Atom editor - for some reason a "file isn't found"

What will the minimum version of Windows before RenPy 8? Will 64-bit versions of XP work, or will it need something later ?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

I'm pretty sure we have fixes for the Video and Atom issues, but I'll check the cutscene.

The minimum version for Ren'Py 7.4 was Windows Vista, and I believe it's Windows 7 for Ren'Py 8. XP support was dropped in Ren'Py 7.4:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelo ... d-removals

Note that Microsoft ended support for XP back in 2014, and for Windows Vista in 2017.

Triority
Regular
Completed: Welcome To... Chichester 0, 1,2 OVN 1, OVN 2, OVN 3, No Regrets For The Future
Projects: Welcome To... Chichester series
Organization: Triority
Tumblr: Sku-te
itch: triority
Discord: sku_te

#8 Post by Triority »

Ah - was wondering when XP had been dropped

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by m_from_space »

Triority wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 pmThere are also problems installing the Atom editor - for some reason a "file isn't found"
Can confirm. Renpy downloads atom inside the root directory, but is looking for it inside the "launcher" directory.

Also, if you copy atom inside the launcher dir, it works, but Renpy is not loading the correct renpy syntax theme.

RicharDann
Veteran

#10 Post by RicharDann »

Thank you so much PyTom and the Ren'Py team for all of your hard work.

Trying to run Ren'Py 8.0.0 on Windows 10, I'm getting this error when I try to set the projects folder.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/project.rpy", line 629, in <module>
  File "game/project.rpy", line 438, in __init__
  File "game/project.rpy", line 467, in scan
  File "game/project.rpy", line 538, in scan_directory
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xac in position 26: invalid start byte
I've tried deleting all persistent and changing the name of my folders and files to ensure no special characters are being used, and the computer's language, but the error persists.

EDIT: Found the cause of the error. I had a "projects.txt" file in my projects folder, one of the paths there had rarely used unicode characters. Removing it allowed to launch normally, all is well now.
Attachments
traceback.txt
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
The most important step is always the next one.

zmook
Veteran

#11 Post by zmook »

PyTom wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:03 pm Ren'Py 8.0.0 and 7.5.0 are currently in prerelease. Please do not make releases with these versions until the release is final.
I am starting to work on a new game today, basically. I don't know that I really want to start coding in renpy 7.4 only to have to retest everything for renpy 8 before the end of the year. It sounds like 8 is already pretty close to ready -- am I wrong about that, or would you still really recommend starting a new game on 7.4? It's going to be quite a while, realistically, before my game has any chance of getting out of alpha anyway.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#12 Post by PyTom »

I don't think there should be much of a problem starting a new game in 8.0.0 at this point, save for the chance that you might encounter a python-3 related issue sometime over the course of development. You might want to wait until later tonight, when I expect to get the second prerelease out.

zmook
Veteran

#13 Post by zmook »

PyTom wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:32 pm ... later tonight, when I expect to get the second prerelease out.
Awesome! Good timing.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#14 Post by PyTom »

Ren'Py 8.0.0.22052520 / Ren'Py 7.5.0.22052520)

An issue was fixed with the portion of Ren'Py that determines which objects should participate in save and rollback. This would manifest in highly varied ways, ranging from games being unable to save to objects rolling back that shouldn't, which in turn could cause other problems. (For example, in the first prerelease, the console would participate in rollback.)

The new nearrect displayable has been rewritten to be more useful. Most notably, it now integrates somewhat with transforms, making to possible to use a transform to show and hide a tooltip or drop-down menu.

The GetTooltip function has been updated to optionally return the last tooltip shown, for use with a nearrect containing a transform to dissolve it out after the displayable generating the tooltip loses focus.

A problem updating the .android.json file has been fixed.

Python f-strings are enabled in Ren'Py expression contexts. Note that f-strings use the { and } delimiters, like text tags use, so using f-strings in a Ren'Py context can be somewhat confusing. (Ren'Py 8 only.)

An issue with periodic actions on Ren'Py 8 has been fixed. The Music Room is the main use of periodic actions.

Some typos in lesser-used Steam functions have been fixed.

Various changes to run some older games:
  • global statements are moved to the start of a function, preventing an error that occurs in Python 3 when a variable is used before the global statement.
  • The Python 2 print statement is automatically removed, while retaining any side effects of its arguments.
  • The has_key method has been re-added to Ren'Py dictionaries.
The renpy.file function has been renamed renpy.open_file, and now takes an encoding parameter. This is to help older games, which may mostly use renpy.file to access text files - it's now possible to open a file as text with renpy.open_file("file.txt", encoding="utf-8"). There is also a config.open_file_encoding to set an open file encoding on a per-game basis, and that defaults to RENPY_OPEN_FILE_ENCODING if set.

The TODO list in the launcher has been fixed.

An issue that prevented video from played under Python 3 has been fixed.

An issue with the path to Atom has been fixed.

Thanks to everyone in the community that reported issues, here and elsewhere. Keep them coming, if you find any.

Downloads of 8.0.0 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/8.0.0

Downloads of 7.5.0 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/7.5.0

zmook
Veteran

#15 Post by zmook »

This may be a known issue, but the Style Inspector is not working in 8.0.0.22052520.
colin r