New script file has been replaced by older script saves???

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
rusicaria
Regular
Projects: VivaCity (VN)
Tumblr: rusicariaGAMES
itch: rusicariaGAMES

New script file has been replaced by older script saves???

#1 Post by rusicaria »

Hello,

Whatever happening with my .rpy file is freaking me out a bit. I've been going over my game because I've recently added a codex to it. I've updated my game many times, and I've changed the script a lot too. I got to a part of the chapter, and somehow, this particular part of of the script had been replaced with an older script from AGES ago, and the part that I had written for that part of the chapter was gone. Only THAT part of the chapter.

This has been happening with other parts of other .rpy files too. I go back to change something, and for some reason some part of the dialogue wasn't how I had written it recently, when I know I save it all the time. Seriously does anyone know why this is happening??? It's scaring me and stopping me from writing my game, because I don't want to put in so much time and effort, only to have newer saves just reset to how it was before.

Please help. I'm devasted that this has happened. A huge chunk of this chapter has basically gone.

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: New script file has been replaced by older script saves???

#2 Post by _ticlock_ »

Did you try Force Recompile in the renpy launcher?

If your rpy files are ok, the problem could be in the rpyc.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Ren'Py does backup game script files each time they're compiled. On windows, the files are in %APPDATA%\RenPy\backups .

I don't believe that this is an issue with Ren'Py, so look for other tools. (Like dropbox, etc.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rusicaria
Regular

#4 Post by rusicaria »

_ticlock_ wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:35 pm Did you try Force Recompile in the renpy launcher?

If your rpy files are ok, the problem could be in the rpyc.
I did, of course nothing changed because I had been saving constantly before I got to that part of the chapter. Is there anything I can do about the rpyc file?

Honestly I'm just gonna back up everything from now on, word, drive, because this is something that has happened so many times, usually just with a line of code, but this time it was a huge chunk of code.

rusicaria
Regular

#5 Post by rusicaria »

PyTom wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:14 pm Ren'Py does backup game script files each time they're compiled. On windows, the files are in %APPDATA%\RenPy\backups .

I don't believe that this is an issue with Ren'Py, so look for other tools. (Like dropbox, etc.)
I'll have a look later today. Previous comment, I'm just gonna backup everytime I work on on my game. Still devastated.

zmook
Veteran

#6 Post by zmook »

rusicaria wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:30 pm I'll have a look later today. Previous comment, I'm just gonna backup everytime I work on on my game. Still devastated.
What code editor do you use? Does it have a backup function, and if so, could it be misbehaving?

Do you have your project files in a directory that's mirrored to the cloud? Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud? Old versions from a different computer could resurface by error.

Definitely check the renpy backups directory to see if it saved more recent copies for you.

In any case, I'd strongly recommend learning to use git and getting an account on GitHub or bitbucket. Version control is *so* valuable.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

rusicaria
Regular

#7 Post by rusicaria »

zmook wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:53 am
rusicaria wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:30 pm I'll have a look later today. Previous comment, I'm just gonna backup everytime I work on on my game. Still devastated.
What code editor do you use? Does it have a backup function, and if so, could it be misbehaving?

Do you have your project files in a directory that's mirrored to the cloud? Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud? Old versions from a different computer could resurface by error.

Definitely check the renpy backups directory to see if it saved more recent copies for you.

In any case, I'd strongly recommend learning to use git and getting an account on GitHub or bitbucket. Version control is *so* valuable.

Since my game is pretty big, I only backup my game everytime I update it/upload it to itch.io. In a sense it's my own fault. I'll have a look at GitHub or bitbucket, google drive isn't the best for this tbh.

rusicaria
Regular

#8 Post by rusicaria »

So whatever happened wasn't necessarily solved, I still don't know what happened, but I had previously saved this chunk of work in a word doc, so I managed to get it all back!!! Thank god, I'm saving all my script files to word docs from now on :(