Easy GUI??

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Swein

Easy GUI??

#1 Post by Swein »

Is there a method that makes the GUI easier to manage? I have a GUI, but it is very complicated and difficult with codes. Is there an editor to edit this?

enaielei
Veteran
Organization: enaielei
Tumblr: enaielei
Deviantart: enaielei
Github: enaielei
Soundcloud: enaielei
itch: enaielei
Discord: enaielei#7487

Re: Easy GUI??

#2 Post by enaielei »

As in official? Not at the moment, no.
I think there are some third-party editors already, I might be wrong though.
Your best bet is to use other game engines. Unity, for one, implements a drag and drop interface for easier UI management.

zmook
Veteran

#3 Post by zmook »

Every game has a GUI. The default one that Renpy creates for you when you make a new project is very good for some purposes, and not good for others. What is it that you want to do differently?

User interface is hard to do well. You can sometimes avoid the hard work by finding a pre-made GUI that works for you and just using it, but in my experience, if you want to customize things, you have to actually learn how they work.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

Swein

#4 Post by Swein »

zmook wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:04 pm Every game has a GUI. The default one that Renpy creates for you when you make a new project is very good for some purposes, and not good for others. What is it that you want to do differently?

User interface is hard to do well. You can sometimes avoid the hard work by finding a pre-made GUI that works for you and just using it, but in my experience, if you want to customize things, you have to actually learn how they work.
I always have difficulties in GUI part on coding, it is easier to write background algorithms but GUI is purely creativity... But I am learning something. I think it will be harder than I thought. :D

zmook
Veteran

#5 Post by zmook »

Swein wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:31 pm I always have difficulties in GUI part on coding, it is easier to write background algorithms but GUI is purely creativity... But I am learning something. I think it will be harder than I thought. :D
Good user interface happens when the developer works harder so that the player can have it easier. It really is not just pretty pictures -- there's a lot of hard craft to make the machinery glide smoothly.

There *are* tools that can make some parts of it easier, but you do have to first know what you want to do with them.
colin r
➔ if you're an artist and need a bit of help coding your game, feel free to send me a PM

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

One might suggest the tools built into renpy.
I've never used it, but the interactive director should be able to do some of the work for you, or at least teach you what you need to do.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/director ... e-director
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#7 Post by Kia »

I've never touched the new GUI system, from the day it was introduced, my first step for every project was stripping it to bare screens and change those in necessary.
You might want to do the same if you know how to use screens.
I've uploaded my stripped version to github under the name `0GUI` along time ago, it might be a little dated by now, but you can just drop that into your game and change a handful of variables to get a new look.